Knights Top Wings, 7-3, Wednesday in Charlotte
tt Skole hit two, two-run homers as the Charlotte Knights beat the Red Wings, 7-3, Wednesday night at BB&T Ballpark in Uptown Charlotte.
Jordany Valdespin hit a go-ahead sixth inning homer for the Wings that gave Rochester a brief 3-2 lead.
After the Valdespin homer, the Wings had a chance to pile on as they loaded the bases with one out. But, the Knights called on tt Tomshaw who promptly came in and induced a 4-6-3 inning-ending double play off the bat of Jake Cave. Cave hit the ball hard, but sure-handed, veteran infielder Ryan Goins picked it smoothly to start the rally-ending twin killing.
With the momentum shifted, Skole cranked a Jake Reed offering way out to right for what turned out to be the game-winning two-run homer.
The Knights (20-17) would add three insurance runs off Gabriel Moya in the eighth.
Skole - who's hit four home runs in the series - gave Charlotte a first inning lead with a two-run homer off opener Addison Reed.
The Wings (14-21) would answer right back in the top of the second. Wilin Rosario doubled home Randy Cesar on a drive to deep center and Valdespin followed with an infield single that would score Rosario from second to tie the game.
The knock extended Valdespin's hit streak to 10 games. Since April 28, the Wings infielder is hitting .513 (20-for-39) with 13 RBI and has nine multi-hit nights over that span.
In a bullpen game, Ryan Eades was the best of the bunch pitching a scoreless second, third and fourth frame for Rochester.
Kohl Stewart (2-2, 4.50) gets the ball for the Wings in the series finale Thursday evening.
WINGS THINGS: Danny Mendick - the Pittsford Mendon and MCC product - led off and played third base for the Knights and went 1-for-4 with a run scored... The Wings have combined for 28 hits in the first two games of the series...Luis Arraez has back-to-back two hit games in his first two games at Triple-A.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Bisons Let Stripers Go Yard Five Times in 6-2 Loss - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Top Wings, 7-3, Wednesday in Charlotte - Rochester Red Wings
- Gwinnett Hits Five Home Runs, Bashes Buffalo, 6-2 (5.15.19) - Gwinnett Stripers
- Skole Smashes Knights Past Red Wings 7-3 - Charlotte Knights
- Bulls Start Fast, Roll over IronPigs - Durham Bulls
- Pigs losing streak extends to eight games - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats and Mets Split Doubleheader - Louisville Bats
- Columbus Clubs Four Homers on Way to Victory - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Syracuse Splits Wednesday Doubleheader with Louisville - Syracuse Mets
- Hens Homer in Front of Sold out Crowd - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (16-21) at Syracuse Mets (21-15) - Louisville Bats
- Ten Hits Lead Tribe Past RailRiders, 6-5 - Indianapolis Indians
- Indians Outlast RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- 'Buffalo Wings Baseball' Returns with New Design Paying Tribute to 'The Flat' - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Gwinnett (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Durham Bulls Ballpark Project to Offer $10,000 Grants - Durham Bulls
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (19-16) vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (18-15) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Red Wings Stories
- Former Wings Dozier, Pressly to Compete for World Series Title
- Skinner, Cliburn, Valentin Not Renewed by Minnesota for 2020
- USA Baseball Names Two Red Wings to Premier12 Roster
- Twins Division Series Roster Features 18 Former Red Wings
- Red Wings Nominated Again for John Henry Moss Community Service Award