Idaho Falls to Charge in Showcase Opener
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. - The Idaho Stampede fell to the Canton Charge, 122-103, on Wednesday morning to open up the 2016 NBA Development League Showcase in Santa Cruz, Calif.
Bryce Dejean-Jones led for Idaho, recording 18 points, five rebounds and three steals. The Stampede also received a 16-point/10-rebound double-double from Jeff Ayres, while Phil Pressey added 14 points and five assists. Treveon Graham finished the game with 14 points off the bench. Reserves Corey Hawkins and E.J. Singler each scored 12 points on Wednesday.
The Charge were led by Nick Minnerath, who finished with a game-high 24 points, while John Holland hit six-of-seven shots for 19 points off the bench. CJ Wilcox finished with 21 points, and Cristiano Felicio put up 18 points and eight rebounds in the win.
Canton got in front by as many as 11 in the first quarter due to perimeter shooting, hitting 14-of-24 shots from the field (58.3 percent) and 5-of-9 from three-point range (55.6 percent).
Leading 49-44 and 6:04 remaining in the first half, Canton rolled off a quick 13-0 run by scoring on five consecutive possessions paired with defensive stops on each trip to the other end to go up 62-44. Despite Idaho turning up offensively scoring 31 points in the quarter, the Charge offensive attack continued from the perimeter with 13-of-23 shooting (56.5 percent) and 4-of-7 from three-point range (57.1 percent).
The Stampede defense had a strong third to get them back in the game, nabbing five turnovers and limiting Canton's shooting to 7-of-21 as a team (333 percent) and 19 points. Idaho took advantage of touches inside by scoring 14 of their 24 points in the paint in the third. The Charge held on to an 88-80 lead heading into the fourth quarter.
Idaho's next game will also be their final at the showcase, on Saturday Jan. 9 at 1:30 p.m. MT vs. the Fort Wayne Mad Ants. The game can be seen live on NBA TV.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 6, 2016
- Oklahoma City Shuts Down Delaware in Comeback Win - Oklahoma City Blue
- Oklahoma City Leaves Delaware Feeling Blue at Showcase - G League
- Legends Outlast Knicks at Showcase - Texas Legends
- Buzzer Beater Rims as Westchester Knicks Fall to Texas Legends - Westchester Knicks
- Texas Outlasts Westchester 105-103 at Showcase - G League
- Idaho Falls to Charge in Showcase Opener - Idaho Stampede
- Charge Storm Past Stampede to Begin Showcase - Canton Charge
- Canton Takes Down Idaho in Showcase Opener - G League
- D-Fenders Acquire Speedy Smith - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Iowa Energy Announce Lindsay Ell to Headline Country Night on January 30 - Iowa Wolves
- Red Claws Announce Schedule Change - Maine Red Claws
- Stampede Re-Acquire Pierre Jackson - Idaho Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.