Buzzer Beater Rims as Westchester Knicks Fall to Texas Legends
SANTA CRUZ - The Westchester Knicks (13-7), the official NBA Development League affiliate of the New York Knickerbockers, fell in the final seconds to the Texas Legends (9-8) in the teams' first game of the 2016 NBA D-League Showcase.
The teams matched shot-for-shot in the first quarter, trading leads four times. The Legends were on fire from downtown, hitting 5-of-7 from beyond the arc. Westchester, in a struggle to find their shots, were on the wrong side of a late 8-0 run to end the quarter with a hefty 32-19 disadvantage against Texas.
A quick eight points put the Knicks back in the game to start the second quarter, though Texas kept its lead above 10 points for the first six minutes. Westchester's Jimmer Fredette, ranked third on the NBA Development League's Prospect Watch, came alive in the second quarter, giving the Knicks a boost with 13 of the team's 37 points. Westchester would pull within two heading into the second half.
Westchester saw its first lead since the first quarter off a sunk three from Travis Trice II mid-way through the third. The Legends quickly tied it back up twice but the Knicks took off on another 8-0 run to solidify the lead through the quarter.
The Legends came back to tie it up with 8:43 left in the fourth, sparking back-and-forth action between the teams. Neither team gave up more than a one-possession lead as they went to the wire. A potential buzzer beater from Jimmer Fredette rimmed out, giving the Legends the 105-103 win.
Jimmer Fredette paced Westchester with 24 points, adding seven assists, five rebounds, and three steals. Travis Trice II finished with 18 points, seven assists, and two rebounds. Jordan Bachynski supplied 17 points and six rebounds, while Darion Atkins put up four block and seven rebounds on 12 points.
Tu Holloway led the Legends with 24 points, seven assists, and two rebounds. Justin Reynolds came off the bench to supply 18 points, and three rebounds, with Allen Durham just missed a double-double finishing with 11 rebounds and nine points.
The Westchester Knicks will face the Reno Bighorns, the Sacramento Kings' affiliate, for the team's second and final game of the 2016 NBA Development League Showcase on Friday, Jan. 8, 2016 at 3:30 p.m. ET. The game will be broadcast live on NBA TV and will be available on demand on the NBA Development League's YouTube channel following the broadcast.
Tickets for the Westchester Knicks are on sale now at Ticketmaster outlets and the Westchester County Center Box Office. For information on season tickets, partial plans, and group tickets, visit WestchesterKnicks.com or call (914) 559-6889. Fans can stay up-to-date on team news by following the team at: @wcknicks on Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat and on Facebook at facebook.com/wcknicks.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 6, 2016
- Oklahoma City Shuts Down Delaware in Comeback Win - Oklahoma City Blue
- Oklahoma City Leaves Delaware Feeling Blue at Showcase - G League
- Legends Outlast Knicks at Showcase - Texas Legends
- Buzzer Beater Rims as Westchester Knicks Fall to Texas Legends - Westchester Knicks
- Texas Outlasts Westchester 105-103 at Showcase - G League
- Idaho Falls to Charge in Showcase Opener - Idaho Stampede
- Charge Storm Past Stampede to Begin Showcase - Canton Charge
- Canton Takes Down Idaho in Showcase Opener - G League
- D-Fenders Acquire Speedy Smith - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Iowa Energy Announce Lindsay Ell to Headline Country Night on January 30 - Iowa Wolves
- Red Claws Announce Schedule Change - Maine Red Claws
- Stampede Re-Acquire Pierre Jackson - Idaho Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.