Legends Outlast Knicks at Showcase
FRISCO, TX - The Texas Legends (9-8) defended a last second shot by the Westchester Knicks (13-7) to hold onto a 105-103 victory Wednesday afternoon at the NBA Development League Showcase in Santa Cruz, CA.
Manny Harris opened the game with a long ball for the Legends, but the Knicks responded quickly for one of the game's eight lead changes. The Legends started off hot, taking their largest lead of the night in the first with a 15-point advantage behind 71% outside shooting. Texas had four players with six points each while the Knicks were led by Darion Atkins' six as the Legends took a 32-19 lead into the second quarter. Texas' Tu Holloway knocked down 3-of-4 from outside in the second, but Westchester's Jimmer Fredette fired off 13 as the Knicks cut the Legends lead to two going into halftime.
Harris opened the second half with another Legends boost but the Knicks found their answer. With 8:23 on the clock, Fredette sent a jumper that would put Westchester back in control. Travis Trice II knocked down 10 points to lead the Knicks to their largest advantage of the night 86-76 with seconds to play in the third. Texas went on a 10-2 run in the early minutes of the fourth to tie up the game. Jordon Crawford and Allen Durham matched outside shots before Jamil Wilson knocked one down to put Texas back in control. A three-point play from Fredette saw one last Knicks burst before the Legends took the final lead of the night with four minutes to play. Several missed opportunities from both teams would leave it a close match as the Legends defended a buzzer-beater from Fredette to take home their first Showcase victory.
Holloway led the Legends in scoring with 24 points off of 5-of-6 outside shooting while adding 7 assists. Durham came off the bench to grab a team-high 11 rebounds and neared a double-double with 9 points. Toure' Murry continued his streak of leading the assist column dishing out 8 and recording 12 points of his own.
Fredette powered the Knicks with 24 points, 5 rebounds and a team-high 7 assists. Atkins, Thanasis Antetokounmpo and Gani Lawal each grabbed 7 rebounds while Atkins also added a game-high 4 blocks.
The Legends will return to the court at the NBA Development League Showcase tomorrow taking on the Delaware 87ers at 9:30pm CT. Fans can catch the action live on NBATV.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 6, 2016
- Oklahoma City Shuts Down Delaware in Comeback Win - Oklahoma City Blue
- Oklahoma City Leaves Delaware Feeling Blue at Showcase - G League
- Legends Outlast Knicks at Showcase - Texas Legends
- Buzzer Beater Rims as Westchester Knicks Fall to Texas Legends - Westchester Knicks
- Texas Outlasts Westchester 105-103 at Showcase - G League
- Idaho Falls to Charge in Showcase Opener - Idaho Stampede
- Charge Storm Past Stampede to Begin Showcase - Canton Charge
- Canton Takes Down Idaho in Showcase Opener - G League
- D-Fenders Acquire Speedy Smith - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Iowa Energy Announce Lindsay Ell to Headline Country Night on January 30 - Iowa Wolves
- Red Claws Announce Schedule Change - Maine Red Claws
- Stampede Re-Acquire Pierre Jackson - Idaho Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.