Canton Takes Down Idaho in Showcase Opener
January 6, 2016 - NBA G League (G League) News Release
SANTA CRUZ, CA. - The Canton Charge (7-11) defeated the Idaho Stampede (6-15) 122-103 on Wednesday to open up the 2016 NBA Development League Showcase in Santa Cruz, CA.
The Charge were led by 24 points in 27 minutes off the bench from forward Nick Minnerath, while John Holland hit six-of-seven shots for 19 points as a substitute. CJ Wilcox finished with 21 points, and Cristiano Felicio put up 18 points and eight rebounds in the win.
Idaho received a 16-point, 10-rebound double-double to lead the way, and Bryce Dejean-Jones also recorded 16 points. Treveon Graham ended with 14 points off the bench, while reserves Corey Hawkins and E.J. Singler each scored 12 points on Wednesday.
Canton got in front by as many as 11 in the first quarter due to perimeter shooting that saw them hit 14-of-24 shots from the field (58%) and 5-of-9 from three-point range (56%). The Charge starters accounted for 32 of the team's 36 first quarter points, including nine each from NBA assignments Cristiano Felicio and C.J. Wilcox, to hold a 36-25 advantage after one.
Leading 49-44 and 6:04 remaining in the first half, Canton rolled off a quick 13-0 run by scoring on five consecutive possessions paired with defensive stops on each trip to the other end to go up 62-44. Despite Idaho turning up offensively scoring 31 points in the quarter, the Charge offensive attack continued from the perimeter with 13-of-23 shooting (57%) and 4-of-7 from three-point range (57%). The Charge led 69-56 at intermission, surpassing a season-high for points in a half set in their last game on Jan. 2.
The Stampede defense had a strong third to get them back in the game, nabbing five turnovers and limiting Canton's shooting to 7-of-21 as a team (33%) and 19 points. Idaho took advantage of touches inside by scoring 14 of their 24 points in the paint in the third. The Charge held on to an 88-80 lead heading into the fourth quarter.
Holland scored 10 points in the fourth and the Charge held Idaho to 23 points in the final period to finish out the game.
The Charge finished the game shooting 51.6 percent from the floor and 16-of-34 (47.1 percent) from beyond the arc in the win. Idaho was a perfect 17-of-17 from the free throw line, but was out-rebounded 45-35 in the losing effort.
Canton will play their final game at the D-League Showcase on Saturday, January 9th at 1:00 p.m. ET against the Los Angeles D-Fenders. Idaho's next game will also be their final at the showcase, on Saturday January 9th at 3:30 p.m. ET vs. the Fort Wayne Mad Ants. Both games can be seen live on NBA TV.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 6, 2016
- Oklahoma City Shuts Down Delaware in Comeback Win - Oklahoma City Blue
- Oklahoma City Leaves Delaware Feeling Blue at Showcase - G League
- Legends Outlast Knicks at Showcase - Texas Legends
- Buzzer Beater Rims as Westchester Knicks Fall to Texas Legends - Westchester Knicks
- Texas Outlasts Westchester 105-103 at Showcase - G League
- Idaho Falls to Charge in Showcase Opener - Idaho Stampede
- Charge Storm Past Stampede to Begin Showcase - Canton Charge
- Canton Takes Down Idaho in Showcase Opener - G League
- D-Fenders Acquire Speedy Smith - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Iowa Energy Announce Lindsay Ell to Headline Country Night on January 30 - Iowa Wolves
- Red Claws Announce Schedule Change - Maine Red Claws
- Stampede Re-Acquire Pierre Jackson - Idaho Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.