IceDogs Keep Erie at Bay in 7-4 Victory
The Niagara IceDogs won 7-4 in their final home game against the Erie Otters this regular season. This was the second game of a five game homestand for the 'Dogs, and third consecutive win against Erie this season.
The 'Dogs definitely came out to play in the first period, scoring three goals while letting none in! Kirill Maksimov kicked off the game's scoring within the first two minutes helped by some back and forth with Ben Jones. The secondary assist went to Elijah Roberts. Towards the middle of the period, Drew Hunter got his fifth of the season assisted by Bradey Johnson and Jacob Paquette! Hunter scored his goal after he picked up a shot by Johnson that Erie's netminder redirected into the net behind him. A few minutes later, with his 33rd of the season, Akil Thomas got the third goal of the night! Matt Brassard, from the blueline, passed to Thomas at the top of the faceoff circle, exchanging the puck with Jack Studnicka to score from the bottom of that circle diagonally to the net.
The second period just might have had more action than the first! Erie opened the period's scoring at 3-1, but the 'Dogs quickly answered with two more! Jason Robertson, skating through the neutral zone, passed to Studnicka at the point with some silky back and forth action, passing to Jones who scored from the slot. Hunter, skating backwards toward the goal line, sent the puck to Castleman in the slot, in return passing to Thomas who scored from the edge of the circle. Castleman scored the sixth of the night for his 50th career goal! The assists were credited to Thomas and Tomasino. Erie cut the lead to 6-2, but just under three minutes later, the three paired up again for another goal, this time Tomasino assisted by Thomas and Castleman.
The final frame was the most tame of the evening, with the exception being two Erie goals scored, making the final score 7-4.
During tonight's game, Thomas got four points and Castleman got his 50th OHL career goal.With 7 goals tonight, the IceDogs became the first team in the league to reach 300 goals scored this season, setting a new club record! UPCOMING GAMES * Friday, March 8th vs Sudbury Wolves (Meridian Centre) 7:00pm *Mental Health Awareness Night* * Sunday, March 10th vs Barrie Colts (Meridian Centre) 2:00pm * Thursday, March 14th vs Mississauga Steelheads (Meridian Centre) 7:00pm
Images from this story
Niagara IceDogs battle the Erie Otters
(Vivid Eye Photography)
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from March 7, 2019
- Petes Shut out Frontenacs to Win Season Series - Peterborough Petes
- IceDogs Keep Erie at Bay in 7-4 Victory - Niagara IceDogs
- Attack Hang on for Win vs Spitfires, 4-3 - Owen Sound Attack
- Otters Fall 7-4 to IceDogs - Erie Otters
- Firebirds to Host Whaley Night to Collect Hygiene Items for Children - Flint Firebirds
- Battalion Game Postponed - North Bay Battalion
- OHL Announces Postponed Game Between Barrie and North Bay - OHL
- Hollowell Signs with Maple Leafs - Soo Greyhounds
- Hamilton Bulldogs to Host 2020 CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Hamilton Bulldogs to Host 2020 CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - OHL
- Buffalo Wild Wings Charity Server Night Raises over $1100 for Guelph Wish Fund - Guelph Storm
- Storm Alumni Win AUS Title with UNB Reds - Guelph Storm
- "Pick up the Tab" - Game Preview: Guelph Storm vs. Saginaw Spirit - Guelph Storm
- Weekend Preview | Steelheads Prepare for Three Game Stretch - Mississauga Steelheads
- Firebirds Post Third Home Victory in Last Five Games - Flint Firebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.