NFL, NBA, NHL stats

Attack Hang on for Win vs Spitfires, 4-3

March 7, 2019 - Ontario Hockey League (OHL) - Owen Sound Attack News Release

Jackson Doherty scored the eventual game winner as the Owen Sound Attack held on 4-3 to beat the Spitfires and snapped a 4 game losing streak in their second last road game of the season.

The fourth and final meeting between the Owen Sound Attack and Windsor Spitfires took place tonight at the WFCU Centre, with the Attack hoping to further cement their playoff seeding and Windsor battling to keep their playoff hopes alive in the 8th spot of the Western Conference.

Owen Sound got on the board early in the 1st, with Daylon Groulx converting on a power play for his 16th of the year after he took an Aidan Dudas shot to the gut. The puck dropped for him and he put it past Colton Incze for the 1-0 lead. Just a few minutes later, Maksim Sushko picked up a Windsor turnover and sent Kaleb Pearson free on a breakaway. He made no mistake, sending it five-hole for his 13th of the year and the 2-0 advantage. It wasn't a perfect period for the Attack, just before the halfway mark Cole Purboo scored his 26th to pull Windsor within one. Mark Woolley and Sean Allen both received 5 and a game for a staged fight later in the frame, and Owen Sound headed to the intermission up 2-1.

Things settled down for the most part in the 2nd period, with the first ten minutes containing cautious plays from both sides, each getting 4 shots on net. It wasn't until the final six minutes of the period when things erupted. Curtis Douglas kneed Adam McMaster at center ice, earning himself a five-minute major and a game misconduct. Aidan Dudas would convert late in the power play off of an Adam McMaster rebound and the Attack gained a 3-1 lead. Late in the period, Owen Sound found themselves in penalty trouble after a pair of minors. They killed them off to end the frame, but the Attack found themselves two men short for a minute to begin the third. Thankfully, they could go to the locker room with a 3-1 lead and game plan on how to keep the penalty kill perfect on the night.

The Attack started the period down two men, and Windsor took advantage almost immediately. Just 12 seconds into the period Nathan Staios scored on the power play and cut the Attack lead to 1. It wasn't until Groulx set up Jackson Doherty on the rush after a beautiful stretch pass from Igor Chibrikov that the Attack regained the two-goal advantage, 4-2. Windsor scored with just over five minutes remaining, when Purboo got his second of the game. Despite the tense final moments, Owen Sound held on and won their 29th of the season 4-3 over the Windsor Spitfires.

The Hatten Home Building Centre Hardest Working Player of the game was Trent Bourque. The three stars were Daylon Groulx (1G,1A), Cole Purboo (2G), and Aidan Dudas (1G,1A).

The Owen Sound Attack will be back on home ice this Saturday night to take on the Guelph Storm. There will be a ceremony before puck drop at 7:30 p.m, the Attack organization asks fans to be in their seats early.

The premeditated fight game misconduct penalty assessed to Mark Woolley typically carries a 2-game suspension.

This season of Attack hockey is presented by Lerner's Personal Injury Lawyers.

• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...

Ontario Hockey League Stories from March 7, 2019

The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.