Hurricanes Acquire Hopwo from Tigers
LETHBRIDGE, AB - The Lethbridge Hurricanes Hockey Club announced on Monday they have acquired 2001-born forward Corson Hopwo from the Medicine Hat Tigers in exchange for 2001-born forward Logan Barlage and a fourth- round draft pick in the 2022 Western Hockey League Prospects Draft.
Hopwo, 20, was originally a seventh-round pick (138th overall) in the 2016 WHL Draft by the Tigers. The Duncan, BC product has skated in 25 games this season totaling 16 points (8g-8a) along with 27 penalty minutes. The left-hand shot forward has racked up 96 career points (43g-53a) and 138 penalty minutes in 170 career games with Medicine Hat. He has appeared in six career post-season games totaling two points (1g-1a) and eight penalty minutes.
"We think adding Hopwo to our group will help us down the stretch," said Hurricanes General Manager Peter Anholt. "It's a tough move to make but we like what Hopwo will bring to our lineup."
Barlage, 20, who was the fourth overall selection in the 2016 WHL Draft, was acquired by the Hurricanes in 2018 from the Swift Current Broncos. The Humboldt, SK product has skated in 31 games this season totaling 17 points (7g-10a) along with 55 penalty minutes with Lethbridge. He appeared in 259 career regular season games, 217 as a Hurricane over parts of five seasons. In his career with the 'Canes, Barlage totaled 147 points (56g-91a) and 132 penalty minutes. He also skated in 23 post-season games with Lethbridge collecting 11 points (7g-4a) and 19 penalty minutes.
"Logan has been a big part of our team for the last five years and has been a great player and person for our organization," said Anholt. "We think a fresh start for Logan will be a great opportunity for him and we would like to thank him for all of his contributions over the years and wish him nothing but the best moving forward."
The Hurricanes would like to thank Barlage for all of his contributions and wish him the best in his career moving forward.
The Hurricanes welcome the Red Deer Rebels to the ENMAX Centre on Friday at 7:00pm before visiting the Swift Current Broncos on Saturday. Tickets for Friday's game can be purchased in person at the ENMAX Centre Ticket Centre.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 17, 2022
- Winterhawks Weekly: Hawks Push Point Streak to Eight Straight with Five-Point Weekend - Portland Winterhawks
- Tigers Acquire Barlage from Hurricanes - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Giants Acquire Jacob Boucher and Two First-Round Picks from Edmonton for Justin Sourdif - Vancouver Giants
- Oil Kings Acquire Florida Panthers Prospect Justin Sourdif from Vancouver - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Giants Acquire a First-Round Draft Pick from Winnipeg for Tanner Brown - Vancouver Giants
- ICE Acquire Brown & Wheatcroft - Winnipeg Ice
- Hurricanes Acquire Edwards and Picks from Winnipeg - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Giants Acquire 2002-Born Defenceman Tom Cadieux from Regina for a Pair of Draft Picks - Vancouver Giants
- Pats Acquire Pair of Draft Picks from Giants for Cadieux - Regina Pats
- Royals Face Cougars, Giants and Silvertips in Jam Packed Week - Victoria Royals
- WHL Announces Postponement of Broncos January 18 Game vs Winnipeg - Swift Current Broncos
- Hurricanes Acquire Hopwo from Tigers - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Chiefs Acquire Forward McCarry and Draft Pick from Kamloops for Toporowski - Spokane Chiefs
- Blazers Acquire Luke Toporowski from Spokane Chiefs - Kamloops Blazers
- Saskatoon Blades Acquire Wild Prospect Josh Pillar from Kamloops Blazers - Saskatoon Blades
- Blazers Send Forward Josh Pillar to Hometown Saskatoon Blades - Kamloops Blazers
- Brennan Named WHL Goaltender of the Week - Prince George Cougars
- Cougars Netminder Brennan Named WHL Goaltender of the Week - WHL
- Hurricanes Forward Hall Named WHL Player of the Week - WHL
- WHL Announces Postponement of WHL Regular Season Game Between Winnipeg and Swift Current - WHL
- What's on Tap January 18-21 - Prince George Cougars
- Blazers Acquire 2002-Born Forward Drew Englot from Regina - Kamloops Blazers
- Pats Acquire Spencer from Blazers for Englot - Regina Pats
- Warriors Acquire Larson from Spokane - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Spokane Swaps Forwards and Adds Third-Round Pick in Trade with Moose Jaw - Spokane Chiefs
- Power Play Success Not Enough for Ams in 6-3 Loss to Silvertips - Tri-City Americans
- Tigers Bested 5-3 by Rebels - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Rebels Return to Winning Form against Tigers - Red Deer Rebels
- Bjarnason, Ritchie Lead BWK to OT Victory - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Winterhawks Earn Five of Possible Six Points After Beating Kamloops 5-2 on Sunday - Portland Winterhawks
- Oil Kings Comeback to Stun the Hurricanes - Edmonton Oil Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lethbridge Hurricanes Stories
- Hurricanes Select 13 Players in 2022 WHL Prospects Draft
- Hurricanes Select Pair from Shattuck St. Mary's in US Priority Draft
- Lethbridge Hurricanes Hockey Club Releases Satisfaction Survey, Looking for Input from Hockey Fans and Enmax Centre Patrons
- Statement from Hurricanes Governor, President Doug Paisley Regarding Paid Parking
- Hurricanes Announce 2021-2022 Annual Award Winners