Oil Kings Acquire Florida Panthers Prospect Justin Sourdif from Vancouver
Edmonton, AB - The Edmonton Oil Kings acquired forward Justin Sourdif from the Vancouver Giants in exchange for forward Jacob Boucher, a first-round pick in the 2022 WHL Prospects Draft and a first-round pick in the 2025 WHL Prospects Draft, the team announced today.
"We would like to welcome Justin and his family to the Oil Kings organization," said Oil Kings President of Hockey Operations and General Manager Kirt Hill. "We are extremely excited to be adding a player and person of Justin's caliber to our team. He brings a very dynamic and driven approach to the game that will add great speed, skill and competitiveness to our lineup. We look forward to integrating Justin into our dressing room and look forward to his contributions to the Oil Kings"
Sourdif, 19, has appeared in 24 games with the Giants this season, tallying 32 points (9G, 23A), 28 penalty minutes and a +16 plus/minus rating while serving as the team's captain.
Last season, he was named the WHL's B.C. Division Top Scorer and Player of the Year after collecting 34 points (11G, 23A) in just 22 games.
In his career, the Surrey, BC native has put up 166 points (69G, 97A), 132 penalty minutes and a +82 plus/minus rating in 171 games. He was originally selected by the Giants with the third-overall pick in the 2017 WHL Draft.
In addition to his regular season totals, the 5-foot-11, 182-pound forward has also appeared in 24 WHL playoff games, racking up eight points (2G, 6A), 16 penalty minutes and a -1 plus/minus rating and helped guide the Giants to a 2019 Western Conference Championship.
During his time in the WHL, Sourdif also represented Canada at the 2019 Hlinka Gretzky Cup, the 2018 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge and most recently at the 2022 World Junior Championship.
Sourdif was selected in the third-round, 87th overall, of the 2020 NHL Draft by the Florida Panthers. On September 24, 2021 he signed his entry-level contract with the Panthers.
Boucher, 19, was in his first season with the Oil Kings after spending parts of the last three seasons with the Lethbridge Hurricanes. In 30 games with the Oil Kings this year, he registered 20 points (10G, 10A), 16 penalty minutes and a +8 plus/minus rating.
The Oil Kings thank Jacob for his time with the organization and wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 17, 2022
- Winterhawks Weekly: Hawks Push Point Streak to Eight Straight with Five-Point Weekend - Portland Winterhawks
- Tigers Acquire Barlage from Hurricanes - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Giants Acquire Jacob Boucher and Two First-Round Picks from Edmonton for Justin Sourdif - Vancouver Giants
- Oil Kings Acquire Florida Panthers Prospect Justin Sourdif from Vancouver - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Giants Acquire a First-Round Draft Pick from Winnipeg for Tanner Brown - Vancouver Giants
- ICE Acquire Brown & Wheatcroft - Winnipeg Ice
- Hurricanes Acquire Edwards and Picks from Winnipeg - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Giants Acquire 2002-Born Defenceman Tom Cadieux from Regina for a Pair of Draft Picks - Vancouver Giants
- Pats Acquire Pair of Draft Picks from Giants for Cadieux - Regina Pats
- Royals Face Cougars, Giants and Silvertips in Jam Packed Week - Victoria Royals
- WHL Announces Postponement of Broncos January 18 Game vs Winnipeg - Swift Current Broncos
- Hurricanes Acquire Hopwo from Tigers - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Chiefs Acquire Forward McCarry and Draft Pick from Kamloops for Toporowski - Spokane Chiefs
- Blazers Acquire Luke Toporowski from Spokane Chiefs - Kamloops Blazers
- Saskatoon Blades Acquire Wild Prospect Josh Pillar from Kamloops Blazers - Saskatoon Blades
- Blazers Send Forward Josh Pillar to Hometown Saskatoon Blades - Kamloops Blazers
- Brennan Named WHL Goaltender of the Week - Prince George Cougars
- Cougars Netminder Brennan Named WHL Goaltender of the Week - WHL
- Hurricanes Forward Hall Named WHL Player of the Week - WHL
- WHL Announces Postponement of WHL Regular Season Game Between Winnipeg and Swift Current - WHL
- What's on Tap January 18-21 - Prince George Cougars
- Blazers Acquire 2002-Born Forward Drew Englot from Regina - Kamloops Blazers
- Pats Acquire Spencer from Blazers for Englot - Regina Pats
- Warriors Acquire Larson from Spokane - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Spokane Swaps Forwards and Adds Third-Round Pick in Trade with Moose Jaw - Spokane Chiefs
- Power Play Success Not Enough for Ams in 6-3 Loss to Silvertips - Tri-City Americans
- Tigers Bested 5-3 by Rebels - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Rebels Return to Winning Form against Tigers - Red Deer Rebels
- Bjarnason, Ritchie Lead BWK to OT Victory - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Winterhawks Earn Five of Possible Six Points After Beating Kamloops 5-2 on Sunday - Portland Winterhawks
- Oil Kings Comeback to Stun the Hurricanes - Edmonton Oil Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Edmonton Oil Kings Stories
- Oil Kings Announce Eastern Conference Championship Schedule
- Oil Kings to Take on Winnipeg ICE in WHL Eastern Conference Championship Series
- Oil Kings Finish off Rebels in Four Games
- Captain Clutch, Neighbours Gives Oil Kings Overtime Win in Game 3
- Red Wings Prospect Cossa Named WHL Goaltender of the Week