Hounds Clinch Home Playoff Game, Defeat Saint Louis, 1-0
FENTON, Mo. - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC (18-4-11) defeated Saint Louis FC (11-13-9), 1-0, on Saturday at West Community Stadium.
Steevan Dos Santos scored the game-winner in the 88th minute to give the Hounds three points. Pittsburgh still holds the top spot in the Eastern Conference, and will control its own destiny with one game remaining on its regular season schedule. Riverhounds SC has also clinched a home playoff game to start the postseason.
"I think it was a really professional and solid performance for any game, especially a road game that meant a lot," head coach Bob Lilley said. "The guys played great. They had to battle on the road and had to be persistent. They did a good job with a difficult opponent.
"I think the first 10-15 minutes it was hard to string passes together. We worked our way into the first half and got better as the half went on. I thought we were very good in the second half. We tried to play in their half and get on the ball. Eventually, we broke them."
Neither team recorded a shot on target during the first half.
For Saint Louis, its best opportunity in the half came off the foot of Kadeem Dacres in the 14th minute, when he had a right-footed shot from outside of the penalty area go wide right of the net.
As for the Hounds, their best chance stemmed from a corner kick in the 24th minute. Kenardo Forbes sent the ball into Joe Greenspan, who freed up space for a header that ultimately hit the left post.
Pittsburgh held 56 percent possession during the first half.
With the score still knotted at 0-0 in the 88th minute, Dos Santos ultimately put the Hounds on top.
Stemming from a corner kick, the striker stood adjacent to the goalmouth and headed home a loose, bouncing rebound. The tally marked his 10th of the season.
Riverhounds SC held Saint Louis FC without a shot on goal for the entire match and outshot the opposition 15-to-5. Goalkeeper Kyle Morton posted the clean sheet, his 12th of the season.
Hound of the Match
Steevan Dos Santos potted the game-winning goal and posted a game-high three shots on target.
Beyond the Stats, presented by Beyond Self Storage
The Hounds set a club record with their 18th single-season victory.
Riverhounds SC will travel to battle Birmingham Legion FC in its regular season finale at 5:30 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 20 at BBVA Field.
Riverhounds SC - Kyle Morton; Ryan James, Tobi Adewole, Joe Greenspan, Todd Pratzner (Dani Rovira 74'), Jordan Dover (Noah Franke 84'); Kenardo Forbes, Robbie Mertz; Kevin Kerr (Mark Forrest 88'), Steevan Dos Santos, Neco Brett
Subs not used: Austin Pack, Mouhamed Dabo, Uchenna Uzo, Anthony Velarde
Saint Louis FC - Jake Fenlason; Bradley Kamdem Fewo, Sean Reynolds, Phanuel Kavita, Paris Gee; Russell Cicerone, Guy Abend (Sam Fink 90'), Kadeem Dacres, Lewis Hilton; Tyler Blackwood, Caleb Calvert [Kyle Greig 65' (Oscar Umar 75')]
Subs not used: TomÃ¡s GÃ³mez, Matt Bahner, Collin Fernandez, Mastanabal Kacher
PIT - Steevan Dos Santos 88'
STL - Guy Abend 44' (caution)
STL - Phanuel Kavita 51' (caution)
STL - Bradley Kamdem Fewo 59' (caution)
PIT - Steevan Dos Santos 90'+6 (caution)
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 12, 2019
- Indy Eleven Comes Back to Earn 1-1 Draw at Tampa Bay - Indy Eleven
- STLFC Falls 1-0 to First-Place Pittsburgh Riverhounds - Saint Louis FC
- Hounds Clinch Home Playoff Game, Defeat Saint Louis, 1-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Tulsa Roughnecks Topple New Mexico United, 2-1 - FC Tulsa
- New Mexico Toppled at Tulsa - New Mexico United
- Independence Move Past Memphis - Charlotte Independence
- Memphis 901 FC Shy against Charlotte Independence, 2-1 - Memphis 901 FC
- Nashville SC Clinches Home Playoff Match with 2-0 Win at Nissan - Nashville SC
- LouCity Scores 8 Unanswered Goals in Wild 8-3 Win - Louisville City FC
- North Carolina FC Falls on Road to Nashville SC - North Carolina FC
- Fresno FC vs. LA Galaxy II Preview - Fresno FC
- Fury FC Draws 1-1 against Bethlehem Steel FC - Ottawa Fury FC
- Faris becomes the second Steel FC player to score 10 goals in a single season - Philadelphia Union II
- Preview: RGV FC Makes Last Road Trip to OKC Energy - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Pink Match: LouCity Honors Those in the Fight against Breast Cancer - Louisville City FC
- Game Day: LouCity Hosts Its Final Regular-Season Home Match - Louisville City FC
- Energy FC Play Final Home Match Tomorrow Night - OKC Energy FC
- T2 Fall 4-3 to San Antonio FC in Regular-Season Home Finale at Providence Park - Portland Timbers 2
- San Antonio FC Earns Three Crucial Points in Seven-Goal Thriller at Portland - San Antonio FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.