Game Day: LouCity Hosts Its Final Regular-Season Home Match
When Louisville City FC takes the field Saturday night vs. Swope Park, it may be the final time the club ever takes the pitch at Slugger Field.
Slugger Field, Louisville City's home since the club inception in 2015, has been a workable home for Kentucky's top soccer team through the club's formative years. Saturday's final regular-season home game could be the last in club history if LouCity doesn't host a playoff game this season.
Through the years, the club leaped hurdles such as how to properly account for the pitcher's mound, how to cover the infield, and where the most-passionate fans would sit.
Despite those challenges, Louisville City supporters have multiplied in number over the years, but the club is fortunate that many of the Day 1 ticket holders are still supporters to this day. That ardent fan support and the growth of the fan base as Louisville City found success on the pitch, is a key reason why Saturday's match is the final regular-season match in Slugger Field ever.
Given the growth of the fan base, a major commitment by Louisville City FC's ownership group, and the support of the Louisville Mayor and City Council, the club is currently building a beautiful 11,700 seat home in Butchertown. Called Lynn Family Stadium, the new facility will be the club's new home starting in Spring of 2020.
"Lynn Family Stadium will be a cathedral for soccer in downtown Louisville," Louisville City FC coach John Hackworth said. "The design and layout of this stadium are incredible, and I can't wait to lead my team onto the field inside our new home in 2020."
Currently, under construction by a joint venture between Messer and Harmon, Lynn Family Stadium strikes an impressive and highly-visible figure on Louisville's skyline just east of downtown. The stadium received 100,000 square feet of sod in late September, and LouCity's future pitch is already taking root, six months before the team moves in.
Louisville City will be using Saturday's final regular-season game to help raise money for a great cause, the fight against Breast Cancer. The club created ticket links for six local charities. Those links provide $4 for the charity for each ticket sold.
In addition, the club is auctioning off the custom-designed pink and white jerseys it will wear Saturday night vs. Swope Park. Several club members, including head coach John Hackworth, have also donated additional items for auction to help local cancer charities.
Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. Eastern. The game will be televised locally on WBKI. The game will be streamed on ESPN+ in America and on YouTube worldwide. The radio broadcast will be on1080 WKJK and feature Kevin Kernen (play-by-play) starting at 6:45 p.m.
LOUISVILLE CITY vs. Swope Park Rangers
Slugger Field, Match Time: 7:00 p.m. ET
Local TV: WBKI-TV, Streaming TV: ESPN+
Local Radio: 1080 WKJK, Streaming Radio: iHeart Radio
@LouCityFC | @SwopeRangers
#LOUvSPR | #LouCity
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 12, 2019
- Indy Eleven Comes Back to Earn 1-1 Draw at Tampa Bay - Indy Eleven
- STLFC Falls 1-0 to First-Place Pittsburgh Riverhounds - Saint Louis FC
- Hounds Clinch Home Playoff Game, Defeat Saint Louis, 1-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Tulsa Roughnecks Topple New Mexico United, 2-1 - FC Tulsa
- New Mexico Toppled at Tulsa - New Mexico United
- Independence Move Past Memphis - Charlotte Independence
- Memphis 901 FC Shy against Charlotte Independence, 2-1 - Memphis 901 FC
- Nashville SC Clinches Home Playoff Match with 2-0 Win at Nissan - Nashville SC
- LouCity Scores 8 Unanswered Goals in Wild 8-3 Win - Louisville City FC
- North Carolina FC Falls on Road to Nashville SC - North Carolina FC
- Fresno FC vs. LA Galaxy II Preview - Fresno FC
- Fury FC Draws 1-1 against Bethlehem Steel FC - Ottawa Fury FC
- Faris becomes the second Steel FC player to score 10 goals in a single season - Philadelphia Union II
- Preview: RGV FC Makes Last Road Trip to OKC Energy - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Pink Match: LouCity Honors Those in the Fight against Breast Cancer - Louisville City FC
- Game Day: LouCity Hosts Its Final Regular-Season Home Match - Louisville City FC
- Energy FC Play Final Home Match Tomorrow Night - OKC Energy FC
- T2 Fall 4-3 to San Antonio FC in Regular-Season Home Finale at Providence Park - Portland Timbers 2
- San Antonio FC Earns Three Crucial Points in Seven-Goal Thriller at Portland - San Antonio FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Louisville City FC Stories
- LouCity Quartet Name USL Award Finalists
- LouCity Legend Spencer Transitioning to New Role
- LouCity Lands Club-Record Four on All-League First Team
- Soccer Holdings' Speaker Series Continues with 'Race in Voting' Panel
- LouCity Bows out with Conference Final Loss to Tampa Bay