T2 Fall 4-3 to San Antonio FC in Regular-Season Home Finale at Providence Park
PORTLAND, Ore. - In Week 32 of the USL Championship season, T2 scored a pair of late second-half goals, but were unable to overcome an early deficit, falling 4-3 to San Antonio FC in their final home match of 2019 at Providence Park on Friday night. Cristian Ojeda scored his fourth goal of the season, while Gio Calixtro and Ryan Sierakowski tallied their sixth and eighth goals of the campaign, respectively.
With two matches remaining on their regular-season schedule, Portland (10-14-8, 38pts, -2GD) sits in 13th place in the Western Conference standings. T2 sit six points behind LA Galaxy II (10th, 44pts, -5GD) for the final spot in the USL Championship playoffs.
San Antonio scored the opening goal of the match in the sixth minute after Ever GuzmÃ¡n's sliding finish from inside the penalty area beat T2 goalkeeper Aljaz Ivacic at the far post. GuzmÃ¡n gave San Antonio a 2-0 advantage six minutes later after he chipped the ball over Ivacic from just outside the 18-yard box.
In the 20th minute, Carlos Anguiano's corner-kick service was partially cleared inside the penalty area, before Foster Langsdorf's header was saved by San Antonio FC goalkeeper Matt Cardone at the near post.
T2 cut into San Antonio's lead after Ojeda curled a free kick from the edge of the 18-yard box into the far corner of the net to make it 2-1 in the 25th minute.
Portland came close to leveling the match in the 34th minute. Ojeda received the ball in space on the right wing from Eryk Williamson, dribbled into the box and fired a left-footed shot from close range just over the crossbar.
San Antonio took a 3-1 lead in the 39th minute when Brian GÃ³mez' converted from the left side of the 18-yard box at the near post.
In first-half stoppage time, Gio Calixtro flicked the ball into the path of Langsdorf, who took a touch off his chest before volleying his shot from close range, forcing a save by Cardone.
GuzmÃ¡n scored his third goal of the match in the 67th minute after he collected Walter Restrepo's long pass and finished from close range at the near post to increase San Antonio's lead to 4-1.
In the 70th minute, Brayan Hurtado turned away from his marker before firing a low shot that forced Cardone into a save. Continuing on the attack, second-half substitute Zach Kobayashi dribbled down the left flank past two defenders, before sending a low shot toward goal at the near post that was stopped by Cardone in the 83rd minute. Two minutes later, Ojeda's curling shot from the top of the box was parried over the crossbar by Cardone.
Calixtro tallied his sixth goal of the USL Championship campaign to cut into the deficit at 4-2 in the 86th minute. Williamson played a perfectly-timed pass into the penalty area for Calixtro, who curled his shot into the lower right corner of the net. The assist marked Williamson's team-leading ninth in league play this season.
T2 nearly scored in the 90th minute after Hurtado's shot from point-blank-range missed inches wide of the post.
Sierakowski made it 4-3 in second-stoppage time, converting a cross from Todd Wharton with a half-volleyed shot from the center of the penalty area. The goal marked Sierakowski's eighth in league play, while the assist was Wharton's first of 2019.
Portland came close to leveling the match deep in second-half stoppage time, but Calixtro's header from the middle of the 18-yard box was saved by Cardone.
Next up, in a rescheduled match from Aug. 3, T2 will travel to face El Paso Locomotive FC at Southwest University Park on Tuesday, Oct. 15. Beginning at 6 p.m. (Pacific), the match against El Paso will be streamed live on ESPN+.
T2 (10-14-8, 38pts) vs. San Antonio FC (12-13-8, 44pts)
Oct. 11, 2019 - Providence Park (Portland, Ore.)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
T2 1 2 3
San Antonio FC 3 1 4
SA: GuzmÃ¡n (Parano), 6
SA: GuzmÃ¡n (Barmby), 12
POR: Ojeda, 25
SA: GÃ³mez (Restrepo), 39
SA: GuzmÃ¡n (Restrepo), 67
POR: Calixtro (Williamson), 86
POR: Sierakowski (Wharton), 90+2
POR: Williamson (caution), 22
POR: Ornstil (caution), 73
POR: Wharton (caution), 77
SA: HernÃ¡ndez (caution), 88
POR: GK Ivacic, D Hanson (Kobayashi, 80), D Ornstil, D Wharton ©, D Farfan , M Ojeda, M Anguiano (Smith, 45+3), M Williamson, M Hurtado, F Langsdorf (Sierakowski, 64), F Calixtro
Substitutes Not Used: GK Leeker, D Lopez, M SÃ¡nchez
TOTAL SHOTS: 16 (Hurtado, 4); SHOTS ON GOAL: 9 (Three players tied, 2); FOULS: 14 (Williamson, 4); OFFSIDES: 0; CORNER KICKS: 9; SAVES: 2
SA: GK Cardone, D Greene, D Ackon, D HernÃ¡ndez, M Lahoud, M Pecka © (Castillo, 88), M GÃ³mez, M Parano (Gallegos, 45+2), M Barmby, M Restrepo, F GuzmÃ¡n
Substitutes Not Used: GK Viscosi, D Eboussi, D Fenwick, M Roushandel
TOTAL SHOTS: 11 (GuzmÃ¡n, 4); SHOTS ON GOAL: 6 (GuzmÃ¡n, 4); FOULS: 14 (Three players tied, 3); OFFSIDES: 4; CORNER KICKS: 2; SAVES: 6
Referee: Matt Franz
Assistant Referees: Baboucarr Jallow, Ryan Jung
4th Official: Justin St. Pierre
Weather: Partly cloudy, 58 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 12, 2019
- Indy Eleven Comes Back to Earn 1-1 Draw at Tampa Bay - Indy Eleven
- STLFC Falls 1-0 to First-Place Pittsburgh Riverhounds - Saint Louis FC
- Hounds Clinch Home Playoff Game, Defeat Saint Louis, 1-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Tulsa Roughnecks Topple New Mexico United, 2-1 - FC Tulsa
- New Mexico Toppled at Tulsa - New Mexico United
- Independence Move Past Memphis - Charlotte Independence
- Memphis 901 FC Shy against Charlotte Independence, 2-1 - Memphis 901 FC
- Nashville SC Clinches Home Playoff Match with 2-0 Win at Nissan - Nashville SC
- LouCity Scores 8 Unanswered Goals in Wild 8-3 Win - Louisville City FC
- North Carolina FC Falls on Road to Nashville SC - North Carolina FC
- Fresno FC vs. LA Galaxy II Preview - Fresno FC
- Fury FC Draws 1-1 against Bethlehem Steel FC - Ottawa Fury FC
- Faris becomes the second Steel FC player to score 10 goals in a single season - Philadelphia Union II
- Preview: RGV FC Makes Last Road Trip to OKC Energy - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Pink Match: LouCity Honors Those in the Fight against Breast Cancer - Louisville City FC
- Game Day: LouCity Hosts Its Final Regular-Season Home Match - Louisville City FC
- Energy FC Play Final Home Match Tomorrow Night - OKC Energy FC
- T2 Fall 4-3 to San Antonio FC in Regular-Season Home Finale at Providence Park - Portland Timbers 2
- San Antonio FC Earns Three Crucial Points in Seven-Goal Thriller at Portland - San Antonio FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.