New Mexico Toppled at Tulsa
(TULSA, Oklahoma) It just wasn't in the cards for New Mexico United Saturday night, as they fell on the road to Tulsa Roughnecks FC, 2:1. The devastating result dramatically increases the pressure on New Mexico going into the final week of the season, as their playoff hopes now hinge on winning both of their remaining matches.
Tulsa's first goal came from a feat of incredible athleticism from Toby Uzo. In the 10th minute, a cross pinballed around the Tulsa Box. Cyprian Hedrick was able to lob it Uzo's way, and the big forward was able to perfectly time his bicycle attempt and zip it past United keeper, Cody Mizell.
In the 68th minute, New Mexico equalized. Santi Moar slashed down the left side of the box and cut a perfect pass in to Devon Sandoval, who notched his 11th goal of the year with ease. Just five minutes later, Tulsa's Marlon was shown his second yellow of the night, and the game's momentum seemed to be with the visitors.
Despite some quality opportunities, and sustained pressure in the game's final 25 minutes, New Mexico was unable to net a 2nd. At the absolute tail end of 6 minutes of stoppage time, Tulsa's Janu Silva navigated a compact United defense, and somehow netted an impossibly-angled right-footed shot to secure his side the win.
NM: Sandoval (68)
TUL: Uzo (10); Silva (90+6)
NM: Suggs, 37' (Yellow); Moar 86' (Yellow)
TUL: Marlon, 48', 73' (Yellow/2nd Yellow, Red); Boakye-Mensa, 53' (Yellow); Lobo, 89' (Yellow)
NM: Possession: 60.3% Shots: 10 Shots on Goal: 5 Saves: 1 Fouls: 18 Corner Kicks: 3 Offside: 2
TUL: Possession: 39.7% Shots: 13 Shots on Goal: 3 Saves: 4 Fouls: 17 Corner Kicks: 6 Offside: 1
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 12, 2019
- Indy Eleven Comes Back to Earn 1-1 Draw at Tampa Bay - Indy Eleven
- STLFC Falls 1-0 to First-Place Pittsburgh Riverhounds - Saint Louis FC
- Hounds Clinch Home Playoff Game, Defeat Saint Louis, 1-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Tulsa Roughnecks Topple New Mexico United, 2-1 - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- New Mexico Toppled at Tulsa - New Mexico United
- Independence Move Past Memphis - Charlotte Independence
- Memphis 901 FC Shy against Charlotte Independence, 2-1 - Memphis 901 FC
- Nashville SC Clinches Home Playoff Match with 2-0 Win at Nissan - Nashville SC
- LouCity Scores 8 Unanswered Goals in Wild 8-3 Win - Louisville City FC
- North Carolina FC Falls on Road to Nashville SC - North Carolina FC
- Fresno FC vs. LA Galaxy II Preview - Fresno FC
- Fury FC Draws 1-1 against Bethlehem Steel FC - Ottawa Fury FC
- Faris becomes the second Steel FC player to score 10 goals in a single season - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Preview: RGV FC Makes Last Road Trip to OKC Energy - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Pink Match: LouCity Honors Those in the Fight against Breast Cancer - Louisville City FC
- Game Day: LouCity Hosts Its Final Regular-Season Home Match - Louisville City FC
- Energy FC Play Final Home Match Tomorrow Night - OKC Energy FC
- T2 Fall 4-3 to San Antonio FC in Regular-Season Home Finale at Providence Park - Portland Timbers 2
- San Antonio FC Earns Three Crucial Points in Seven-Goal Thriller at Portland - San Antonio FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Mexico United Stories
- New Mexico United Welcomes Back 15th First-Year Player
- New Mexico United Announces 14th Returning Player for 2020 Season
- New Mexico United Announces Initial Roster Moves Ahead of 2020 Season
- Big Win, Help Lifts United to Playoff Berth
- Draw Sets up Must-Win Saturday