Hostetler Powers Bucks to Doubleheader Sweep
Bennett Hostetler (4-4, BB, 2B, 4 RBI) reached all five times and collected four RBI as the Waterloo Bucks (9-8) clinched a series win with an 10-3 doubleheader sweep over the Duluth Huskies (7-10) on Wednesday evening.
Waterloo piled up 15 hits on the night, including multi-hit efforts by Jake Gitter (2-4, 2 BB, 2 R), Mike Nyistzor (2-5, R, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 SB), Patrick Ferguson (2-4, BB, R, RBI) and Greg Anderberg (2-4, BB, 2 2B).
The Bucks struck first in the opening frame as Hostetler poked an RBI single to left, scoring Gitter. Three more runs came across during the second as Bryce Wooldridge laced a bases-loaded hit to right that shot underneath the glove of Duluth's outfielder. Hostetler bit the Huskies again with a two-run fourth-inning single, stretching the lead to 6-0.
Nyisztor added a pair of runs with a double down the third base line in the sixth, then Waterloo scored their final two runs with an RBI single off the bat of Ferguson and a belted double by Hostetler.
Bucks starter Kenny Carrillo received a no-decision by tossing 4.0 innings of one-run ball, striking out three while scattering four hits and three walks. Zach Jones swiped the win with a scoreless fifth, striking out two. Dylan Phillips impressed in relief with 3.0 innings of one-run, six-punchout baseball.
With the doubleheader sweep, Waterloo slides back into a tie for first place with the La Crosse Loggers.
Waterloo and Duluth wrap up their series on Thursday evening at 6:35 p.m. on the Bucks Radio Network powered by 1650 The Fan.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 13, 2019
- Loggers take nightcap 8-5 to split twinbill with Thunder Bay - La Crosse Loggers
- Booyah Comeback and Win Versus Wisconsin - Green Bay Booyah
- Jackrabbits Reduce Ticket Prices - Kokomo Jackrabbits
- Stingers Sweep St. Cloud - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters Storm Back against Fond du Lac - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Miller's Strong Start Guides Buck to Clean Sweep - Waterloo Bucks
- Mallards Sweep Chinooks in Double Header - Madison Mallards
- Booyah Edge Woodchucks by One Run with Help from Relief Pitchers - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Duluth Ends Homestand with 8-0 Loss - Duluth Huskies
- Rafters Host Fond du Lac for Series Opener - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Compete in a Make up Double Header against Chinooks - Madison Mallards
- Hostetler Powers Bucks to Doubleheader Sweep - Waterloo Bucks
- St. Cloud Battles to the End, Drops Game One to Willmar - St. Cloud Rox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Waterloo Bucks Stories
- Harms to Return for Second Season as Bucks Field Manager
- Waterloo Bucks Hire Jonathan Rawson as Radio Broadcaster
- Bucks Partner with Northwoods League Foundation for "Share the Glove" Initiative
- Bucks Announce Summer Internship Opportunities
- Bucks Announce 2020 Schedule