Hostetler Powers Bucks to Doubleheader Sweep
Bennett Hostetler (4-4, BB, 2B, 4 RBI) reached all five times and collected four RBI as the Waterloo Bucks (9-8) clinched a series win with an 10-3 doubleheader sweep over the Duluth Huskies (7-10) on Wednesday evening.
Waterloo piled up 15 hits on the night, including multi-hit efforts by Jake Gitter (2-4, 2 BB, 2 R), Mike Nyistzor (2-5, R, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 SB), Patrick Ferguson (2-4, BB, R, RBI) and Greg Anderberg (2-4, BB, 2 2B).
The Bucks struck first in the opening frame as Hostetler poked an RBI single to left, scoring Gitter. Three more runs came across during the second as Bryce Wooldridge laced a bases-loaded hit to right that shot underneath the glove of Duluth's outfielder. Hostetler bit the Huskies again with a two-run fourth-inning single, stretching the lead to 6-0.
Nyisztor added a pair of runs with a double down the third base line in the sixth, then Waterloo scored their final two runs with an RBI single off the bat of Ferguson and a belted double by Hostetler.
Bucks starter Kenny Carrillo received a no-decision by tossing 4.0 innings of one-run ball, striking out three while scattering four hits and three walks. Zach Jones swiped the win with a scoreless fifth, striking out two. Dylan Phillips impressed in relief with 3.0 innings of one-run, six-punchout baseball.
With the doubleheader sweep, Waterloo slides back into a tie for first place with the La Crosse Loggers.
Waterloo and Duluth wrap up their series on Thursday evening at 6:35 p.m. on the Bucks Radio Network powered by 1650 The Fan.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 13, 2019
- Loggers take nightcap 8-5 to split twinbill with Thunder Bay - La Crosse Loggers
- Booyah Comeback and Win Versus Wisconsin - Green Bay Booyah
- Jackrabbits Reduce Ticket Prices - Kokomo Jackrabbits
- Stingers Sweep St. Cloud - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters Storm Back against Fond du Lac - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Miller's Strong Start Guides Buck to Clean Sweep - Waterloo Bucks
- Mallards Sweep Chinooks in Double Header - Madison Mallards
- Booyah Edge Woodchucks by One Run with Help from Relief Pitchers - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Duluth Ends Homestand with 8-0 Loss - Duluth Huskies
- Rafters Host Fond du Lac for Series Opener - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Compete in a Make up Double Header against Chinooks - Madison Mallards
- Hostetler Powers Bucks to Doubleheader Sweep - Waterloo Bucks
- St. Cloud Battles to the End, Drops Game One to Willmar - St. Cloud Rox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.