Hooks Strike Early Saturday Night
MIDLAND - Seth Beer and Chas McCormick belted home runs while Carson LaRue fired five innings of one-run ball Saturday night as the Hooks bested the RockHounds, 9-6, before 6,038 fans at Security Bank Ballpark.
Corpus Christi (21-20) has won seven of its last 10 games.
After being set down 1-2-3 in the opening frame by Matt Milburn (1-3), the Hooks scored three runs in the second on singles by Beer, Granden Goetzman, Ronnie Dawson, and Chuckie Robinson.
Beer, who debuted with the Hooks Friday night, clubbed a two-run home run to straightaway center field in the third for his first Double-A dinger. His 10th clout of the season made it 5-1 Corpus Christi.
With two away in the fourth, Josh Rojas cracked a triple off the wall in right-center and was promptly plated thanks to a single up the middle by Osvaldo Duarte. McCormick made it 9-1 in the fifth with a three-run shot to left field, scoring Beer and Dawson, who notched two doubles on the day.
Beer finished his night by going 3-for-4 with three runs scored and a walk.
LaRue (1-1) picked up his first Double-A win by scattering three hits and one walk over five innings of work. He threw 35 of 55 pitches for strikes. After surrendering a lead-off double in the first, LaRue faced just two over the minimum the rest of the way, thanks in part to a pair of double plays.
The Hounds (20-21) made it a three-run game after scoring five times in the seventh and eighth against Brandon Bailey.
Lefty Kit Scheetz, celebrating his 25th birthday, struck out the side in the ninth for his third save. Scheetz, who is tied for the Texas League lead with 16 appearances, has pitched shutout ball in 11 of his last 13 outings.
Corpus Christi shoots for a series win Sunday afternoon with J.B. Bukauskas on the mound. Midland will go with James Naile. First pitch 2 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Travs Go Ten Again for Win in Tulsa - Arkansas Travelers
- Hooks Strike Early Saturday Night - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Naturals Rally Then Hang on for Win - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Cordero Stays Hot in 9-5 Defeat - Frisco RoughRiders
- RockHounds Rally, Fall to Hooks - Midland RockHounds
- Zunica's Two-Home Run Night Leads Sod Poodles to Second Consecutive Victory over RoughRiders - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Drillers Fall Again in Extra Innings - Tulsa Drillers
- Cardinals Partner with Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield on Food Drive - Springfield Cardinals
- Naturals Even Series with Friday Win - Springfield Cardinals
- Matamoscas Shutout in Pitchers' Duel - Midland RockHounds
- Travs Trip Tulsa in Ten - Arkansas Travelers
- Dawson's Diving Catch Saves Day - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Travelers Edge Drillers in 10 Innings - Tulsa Drillers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.