Dawson's Diving Catch Saves Day
MIDLAND - Bolstered by stellar glove work, Tyler Ivey, Gabriel Valdez, and Carlos Sanabria teamed to blank the RockHounds Friday night as the Hooks notched a 1-0 triumph before 5,649 fans at Security Bank Ballpark.
It marks the second Corpus Christi shutout win in the last three games.
With the Hooks (20-20) clinging to a one-run lead in the fifth, Midland (20-20) nine-hole hitter Edwin Diaz opened the frame by sending a deep drive into left field, but Carmen Benedetti made a running over-the-shoulder catch at the base of the wall. Later in the inning, with two out and men at the corners, Jonah Heim bid for an extra-base hit with a fly ball into the right-field alley. Dawson saved two runs by making a sprinting catch from his position in center.
In the seventh, Midland had two on with two out for its No. 3 hitter Greg Deichmann. The first pitch from Valdez was smacked into right-center, forcing another fine play from Dawson, who snared the sinking line drive with a full-extension diving grab. The incredible effort robbed the Hounds of another two-run extra-base hit.
The Hooks' lone run came in the second when Granden Goetzman lifted a sac fly into right field, plating Abraham Toro.
Corpus Christi's pitching staff made the early marker hold up. Ivey struck out six over four innings while Valdez (2-2) posted zeros in the fifth, sixth, and seventh.
Sanabria faced six hitters, thanks to a caught-stealing by catcher Chuckie Robinson, over the final two innings for his second save.
Daulton Jefferies (0-1), Joel Seddon, and Trey McNutt limited CC to six hits, two by Toro.
The Hooks look to make it two in a row Saturday night with Carson LaRue on the mound. Midland counters with Matt Milburn. First pitch 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Travs Go Ten Again for Win in Tulsa - Arkansas Travelers
- Hooks Strike Early Saturday Night - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Naturals Rally Then Hang on for Win - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Cordero Stays Hot in 9-5 Defeat - Frisco RoughRiders
- RockHounds Rally, Fall to Hooks - Midland RockHounds
- Zunica's Two-Home Run Night Leads Sod Poodles to Second Consecutive Victory over RoughRiders - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Drillers Fall Again in Extra Innings - Tulsa Drillers
- Cardinals Partner with Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield on Food Drive - Springfield Cardinals
- Naturals Even Series with Friday Win - Springfield Cardinals
- Matamoscas Shutout in Pitchers' Duel - Midland RockHounds
- Travs Trip Tulsa in Ten - Arkansas Travelers
- Dawson's Diving Catch Saves Day - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Travelers Edge Drillers in 10 Innings - Tulsa Drillers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.