Dawson's Diving Catch Saves Day
MIDLAND - Bolstered by stellar glove work, Tyler Ivey, Gabriel Valdez, and Carlos Sanabria teamed to blank the RockHounds Friday night as the Hooks notched a 1-0 triumph before 5,649 fans at Security Bank Ballpark.
It marks the second Corpus Christi shutout win in the last three games.
With the Hooks (20-20) clinging to a one-run lead in the fifth, Midland (20-20) nine-hole hitter Edwin Diaz opened the frame by sending a deep drive into left field, but Carmen Benedetti made a running over-the-shoulder catch at the base of the wall. Later in the inning, with two out and men at the corners, Jonah Heim bid for an extra-base hit with a fly ball into the right-field alley. Dawson saved two runs by making a sprinting catch from his position in center.
In the seventh, Midland had two on with two out for its No. 3 hitter Greg Deichmann. The first pitch from Valdez was smacked into right-center, forcing another fine play from Dawson, who snared the sinking line drive with a full-extension diving grab. The incredible effort robbed the Hounds of another two-run extra-base hit.
The Hooks' lone run came in the second when Granden Goetzman lifted a sac fly into right field, plating Abraham Toro.
Corpus Christi's pitching staff made the early marker hold up. Ivey struck out six over four innings while Valdez (2-2) posted zeros in the fifth, sixth, and seventh.
Sanabria faced six hitters, thanks to a caught-stealing by catcher Chuckie Robinson, over the final two innings for his second save.
Daulton Jefferies (0-1), Joel Seddon, and Trey McNutt limited CC to six hits, two by Toro.
The Hooks look to make it two in a row Saturday night with Carson LaRue on the mound. Midland counters with Matt Milburn. First pitch 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Travs Go Ten Again for Win in Tulsa - Arkansas Travelers
- Hooks Strike Early Saturday Night - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Naturals Rally Then Hang on for Win - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Cordero Stays Hot in 9-5 Defeat - Frisco RoughRiders
- RockHounds Rally, Fall to Hooks - Midland RockHounds
- Zunica's Two-Home Run Night Leads Sod Poodles to Second Consecutive Victory over RoughRiders - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Drillers Fall Again in Extra Innings - Tulsa Drillers
- Cardinals Partner with Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield on Food Drive - Springfield Cardinals
- Naturals Even Series with Friday Win - Springfield Cardinals
- Matamoscas Shutout in Pitchers' Duel - Midland RockHounds
- Travs Trip Tulsa in Ten - Arkansas Travelers
- Dawson's Diving Catch Saves Day - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Travelers Edge Drillers in 10 Innings - Tulsa Drillers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi Hooks Stories
- Astros World Series Gear Now Available at Whataburger Field
- Details for Little Joe's Birthday Bash: Tex Mex Fest this Saturday
- Public Invited to Halloween with the Hooks on October 24
- Top 10 Hooks Moments of 2019
- Brady Ballard Named Assistant General Manager of Corpus Christi Hooks