Honkers Sweep Express in Doubleheader
(Rochester, Minn.) - Rochester Honkers starting pitcher Ryan Dorney (St. Martin's) tossed a five-hit complete game and the Honkers offense put up 13 runs to defeat the Eau Claire Express 13-5 Wednesday at Carson Park. The sweep puts the Honkers at 13-13 in the second half and 30-32 overall. The Express drop to 11-14 and 24-36.
The Honkers took the lead in the third as Alex McGarry (Oregon State) drove in Nate Webb (UC Riverside) with a single to put the Honkers up 1-0. McGarry was driven on another single off the bat of Logan Denholm (UC Davis).
Rochester was able to rally for four runs in the sixth. Taylor Adams (Oregon) got the rally started as he crushed his first home run of the year to push the Honkers lead to 3-0. Christian Robinson (Stanford) ripped a two-RBI single to extend the Honkers lead to 5-0. Michael Michalak (Illinois) hit a single of his own to bring in a run and cap off the scoring in the sixth.
The Honkers broke the game open with a seven run seventh inning. Casey Dunlap (Point Loma Nazarene) and Michalak each drew a walk with the bases loaded to bring in a run. Denholm drove in three runs with a single to extend the Rochester lead to 11-0. Grayson Bowman (Blue Mountain) roped a two-RBI double to the gap to put the Honkers up 13-0.
The Express were able to rally for five runs in the ninth. Cody Milligan (Oklahoma State) singled to bring in the first run for the Express to cut the Honkers lead to 13-1. David LaManna (Notre Dame) brought in three more runs for Eau Claire with a double. LaManna came around to score on a dropped third strike to cut Rochester's lead to 13-5.
Bowman had a productive day on offense for the Honkers as he went 4-for-5 with two runs scored and two RBIs. Adams went 3-for-6 and came around to score a run. Denholm and Webb each added two hits for Rochester.
Dorney picked up his second win in his complete game performance. He had a shutout going until surrendering five runs in the ninth. The right-hander struck out eight and walked just one.
Eau Claire starting pitcher Justin Revels (Illinois-Springfield) took the loss for the Express. Revels gave up six runs on eight hits in five innings of work.
The Honkers are back at Mayo Field Thursday to take on the St. Cloud Rox. Will Warren (Southeastern Louisiana) is scheduled to start for the Rox, Warren has compiled a 0-4 record and a 6.68 ERA. The Honkers starting pitcher is to be determined. Thursday is Team Up/Miracle Night presented by Meshbesher & Spence. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 1, 2018
- Sanchez Homers, Rox Fall in Extras - St. Cloud Rox
- Huskies Struggle in Wilmar; Swept by Stingers - Duluth Huskies
- Dock Spiders Sweep Green Bay in Doubleheader - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Honkers Sweep Express in Doubleheader - Rochester Honkers
- Mallards Drop Game Two against Rivets - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Shut out 5-0 by Larks in Game Two - Waterloo Bucks
- Woodchucks Fall to Bombers in Game Two of Double-Header - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Stingers Outduel Huskies in Game 1 of Doubleheader - Duluth Huskies
- Honkers Take Game One in Eau Claire - Rochester Honkers
- Rafters Win Tight Game One in Kalamazoo - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Stephens Registers Three Hits, Rox Fall to MoonDogs - St. Cloud Rox
- Watland Steers Mallards to 3-1 Win - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Take Game One 6-1 over Larks - Waterloo Bucks
- Woodchucks Drop Close Game in the Seventh Inning - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Mallards Ready for Two against the Rivets - Madison Mallards
- Bucks to Host 2019 NWL All-Star Game - Waterloo Bucks
- Rafters Play Two in Kalamazoo - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.