Huskies Struggle in Wilmar; Swept by Stingers
After dropping the first game of the doubleheader, Duluth was unable to bounce back as they fell to the Stingers in game two 6-1.
Willmar started the scoring early as they scored four runs in the bottom of the second inning with Jason Ortiz (New Mexico State) supplying the big blow with a 2-run double into right center to put the Huskies in an early deficit.
Duluth ran into more trouble in the third inning when the Stingers loaded the bases and brought home another run on a bases loaded walk on Jaxon Hallmark (Nebraska) to put Willmar up 5-0.
The Huskies produced their best threat in the fifth inning when they loaded the bases with two outs. Sean Watkins (Cal-State Los Angeles) had the first opportunity to produce runs and he would bring one in the hard way as he was hit by pitch to collect an RBI and pull Duluth within four at 5-1. That would be the only run the Huskies could muster in the inning.
Willmar would get that run back immediately when Matt Rudick (San Diego State) singled in Caleb Ricca (Northwestern State) to make it 6-1 Stingers.
That score would hold as Willmar would go onto sweep the Huskies in the doubleheader to pull even with them in the North Standings at 18-8 with 10 games left to play in the regular season.
Despite the offensive struggles, Colan Treml (UW-Oshkosh) was a bright spot out of the bullpen on Wednesday night. Treml pitched five innings in relief allowing just one earned run with three strikeouts.
Huskies will return home to being a four-game home stand starting Thursday as they host the Mankato Moondogs at 6:35 p.m. The game can be heard on 92.1 THE FAN in Duluth.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 1, 2018
- Sanchez Homers, Rox Fall in Extras - St. Cloud Rox
- Huskies Struggle in Wilmar; Swept by Stingers - Duluth Huskies
- Dock Spiders Sweep Green Bay in Doubleheader - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Honkers Sweep Express in Doubleheader - Rochester Honkers
- Mallards Drop Game Two against Rivets - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Shut out 5-0 by Larks in Game Two - Waterloo Bucks
- Woodchucks Fall to Bombers in Game Two of Double-Header - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Stingers Outduel Huskies in Game 1 of Doubleheader - Duluth Huskies
- Honkers Take Game One in Eau Claire - Rochester Honkers
- Rafters Win Tight Game One in Kalamazoo - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Stephens Registers Three Hits, Rox Fall to MoonDogs - St. Cloud Rox
- Watland Steers Mallards to 3-1 Win - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Take Game One 6-1 over Larks - Waterloo Bucks
- Woodchucks Drop Close Game in the Seventh Inning - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Mallards Ready for Two against the Rivets - Madison Mallards
- Bucks to Host 2019 NWL All-Star Game - Waterloo Bucks
- Rafters Play Two in Kalamazoo - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.