Sanchez Homers, Rox Fall in Extras
St. Cloud, MN - In a league-wide doubleheader day in the Northwoods League, the St. Cloud Rox returned home to the Rock Pile on Wednesday night in Game 2 of a home-and-home series with the Mankato MoonDogs.
Ricardo Sanchez (Arkansas at Pine Bluff) belted his third home run of the season to lead St. Cloud, but the Rox late-game comeback attempt fell short in 10 innings against the MoonDogs, 5-4.
Down 4-3 heading into the bottom of the ninth inning, Connor Aube (Texas at Arlington) nearly won the game for St. Cloud, coming inches away from a walk-off home run to left field, but he ended up driving home the game-tying run to force extra innings. Mankato went on to score one run in the 10th inning to jump in front.
Sanchez, who finished 2-for-5 with one RBI in the game, got the Rox on the board in the bottom of the fourth inning after hitting a solo shot to right field. St. Cloud tallied two runs in the fourth inning, one in the fifth and one in the ninth in the game. Along with Sanchez, Aube went 1-for-5 with one RBI, Ben Carew (Kent State) went 2-for-3 with one run scored, Jack Barrie (Reinhardt) finished 2-for-4 with one run scored and Ryland Kerr (Eastern Kentucky) added one hit and one RBI.
Kenny Saenz (BYU) got the start on the mound for St. Cloud, pitching five innings. He gave up three hits, two runs and struck out five. Joey Stock (St. John's) pitched two innings in relief, while Jake Suddreth (BYU) threw 2.1 innings and Finn Del Bonta-Smith (San Jose State) pitched the final 0.2 innings.
St. Cloud (13-13 second half, 29-33 overall) will hit the road for two games in Rochester on Thursday and Friday. The Rox will return home to the Rock Pile for a weekend series against Waterloo, facing the Bucks at 6:05 p.m. Saturday and 4:05 p.m. Sunday.
Saturday's game will be Hometown Heroes Night and Championship Chisel Bobblehead Giveaway night presented by Capital One. Five local heroes will be recognized as part of Hometown Heroes Night, while the first 400 fans will receive a token to be redeemed for a bobblehead after the fifth inning as part of the Championship Chisel Bobblehead Giveaway. Sunday's game will be Hot Dog Hundo Night presented by Manea's Meats, where fans will have the chance to win cash prizes up to $100 by purchasing a hot dog from the main concessions stand. It will also be a Coborn's Kids Day, where kids will have the opportunity to run the bases and get autographs on the field after the game.
To get tickets to the weekend series and for the rest of the regular season, click here.
The Rox are in their seventh season of Northwoods League Baseball in 2018. Single game and group tickets for the entire season are on sale now. For more information on purchasing tickets, visit the Rox Ticket Office on the west end of the Municipal Athletic Complex, call 320-240-9798 or visit www.stcloudrox.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 1, 2018
- Sanchez Homers, Rox Fall in Extras - St. Cloud Rox
- Huskies Struggle in Wilmar; Swept by Stingers - Duluth Huskies
- Dock Spiders Sweep Green Bay in Doubleheader - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Honkers Sweep Express in Doubleheader - Rochester Honkers
- Mallards Drop Game Two against Rivets - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Shut out 5-0 by Larks in Game Two - Waterloo Bucks
- Woodchucks Fall to Bombers in Game Two of Double-Header - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Stingers Outduel Huskies in Game 1 of Doubleheader - Duluth Huskies
- Honkers Take Game One in Eau Claire - Rochester Honkers
- Rafters Win Tight Game One in Kalamazoo - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Stephens Registers Three Hits, Rox Fall to MoonDogs - St. Cloud Rox
- Watland Steers Mallards to 3-1 Win - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Take Game One 6-1 over Larks - Waterloo Bucks
- Woodchucks Drop Close Game in the Seventh Inning - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Mallards Ready for Two against the Rivets - Madison Mallards
- Bucks to Host 2019 NWL All-Star Game - Waterloo Bucks
- Rafters Play Two in Kalamazoo - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Cloud Rox Stories
- More Familiar Faces Set to Return to the Rox for 2020 Season
- Rox Pitcher of the Year, Team MVP Both Set to Return for 2020 Season
- Rox Announce Schedule for 2020 Season
- Rodriguez to Return as Rox Field Manager in 2020 Along with Assistants Bellamy and Miklos
- Rox Raise Record $76,255 for Charity During 2019 Season