Homers Spark Fourth Consecutive Victory
JOLIET, Ill. - The Schaumburg Boomers used a pair of homers to grab an early lead and not look back in a 6-1 road victory over the Joliet Slammers on Wednesday, the fourth consecutive win.
Steve McQuail connected on a two-out two-run homer in the top of the first against Joliet starter Chuck Lofgren to open the scoring. The homer was the 13th of the season for the Frontier League Homerun Derby Champion. Chad Mozingo's fourth homer of the year in the third extended the lead to 3-0. Joliet scored a single run in the sixth but Schaumburg put the game away with two in the seventh and one in the eighth.
Edwin Carl pitches four innings in his first start with the team, reaching his pitch count. Matt Kuna tossed a pair of innings and Adam Tollefson and Clark Labitan finished off the win. The Boomers slugged 12 hits with Jordan Dean registering four out of the leadoff slot.
The Boomers (36-28) continue the series at Joliet on Thursday. Schaumburg returns home Saturday for a three-game series with Rockford. Reserve your piece of the action by calling 847.461.3695 or visiting www.boomersbaseball.com. RHP Mike Giovenco (6-4, 3.89) will start for the Boomers opposite RHP Brett Zawacki (4-5, 4.75).
More Info: The Schaumburg Boomers completed a successful Inaugural Season as the second professional baseball club owned by prominent Chicago attorney Patrick A. Salvi and his wife, Lindy Salvi. Named after the Greater Prairie Chicken that once roamed throughout Schaumburg and the surrounding areas in the 19th century, the Boomers are all about customer service and specialize in fun, affordable, family entertainment for baseball and non-baseball fans alike. For more information on the Boomers, check out www.boomersbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from July 31, 2013
- Boomers Top Slammers in Game One - Joliet Slammers
- Homers Spark Fourth Consecutive Victory - Schaumburg Boomers
- ThunderBolts Score Five Late Runs for Win over River City - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Crushers offense breaks out in 8-3 win - Lake Erie Crushers
- Beach Bums Fall to Greys in Series Opener - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Wild Things Fall to Crushers 8-3 - Washington Wild Things
- CornBelters Drop Series Opener at Florence - Normal CornBelters
- Freedom Rout CornBelters 11-3 - Florence Freedom
- Otters Begin Three Game Road Series at Southern Illinois - Evansville Otters
- Otters to Host Free Baseball Clinic - Evansville Otters
- Beach Bums Claim Series with Extra Inning Win - Florence Freedom
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.