'Hogs stay hot as calendar flips to July
GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas - After going 20-5 to end June, the Grand Prairie AirHogs started July right where they left off, beating the Amarillo Sox 5-3 at QuikTrip Park on Sunday to up their winning streak to five.
For the first time in the series, the AirHogs (29-13) scored first, getting two runs on three straight hits in the first to take the lead. But the Sox (21-21) scored one in the second on an Alberto Espinosa single and one in the third on a Jake Opitz hit to tie the game.
That was it for the Sox against Josh Strawn (5-0), though, as the AirHogs righty worked seven innings, allowing seven hits and one walk with five strikeouts. Strawn did not have a 1-2-3 inning, but the Sox did not have more than one baserunner in an inning after the third against him.
The AirHogs quickly untied the game in the third, with Bryan Frichter singling on the first pitch off Jack Spradlin (4-4), before Brian Myrow walked. Frichter went to third on Andres Rodriguez's fly ball to right-center, and Greg Porter beat out a possible double-play grounder to third to allow Frichter to score.
An inning later, Yasutsugu Nishimoto knocked in Kenny Held with a sacrifice fly for his first of two RBIs in the game, with a double after Held's double in the sixth to give the AirHogs another insurance run.
Ronnie Morales worked around a two-out hit batsman in the eighth, and Derrick Miramontes finished off his second save of the year in the ninth, allowing an unearned run but getting Opitz to pop out with two on to end it.
Notes: Each team had eight hits.All eight Amarillo hits came from the top six spots in the batting order.Held went 2-for-3 in a rare start for Grand Prairie. Trent Lockwood had the day off against the lefty starter.Frichter had two hit, both on the first pitch of his first two at-bats.Justin Dowdy got the save situation off after throwing in four straight games over five days.
The 2011 American Association Champion Grand Prairie AirHogs conclude their four-game series against the Amarillo Sox on Monday, July 2 at 7:05 p.m. It is Margarita Monday, with $1 off all margaritas at QuikTrip Park. All games are aired live and for free on Ustream by clicking on the link on the AirHogs' home page or visiting http://www.ustream.tv/channel/airhogs-baseball with selected contests aired on Time Warner Cable's Texas Channel. For information on tickets, promotions, advertising, and other opportunities with the AirHogs, check out the Web site at www.airhogsbaseball.com, or call the QuikTrip Park office at (972) 504-9383.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 1, 2012
- Barrows' Shot Lifts Explorers in 10 - Sioux City Explorers
- Lemurs Sweep Tornadoes - Laredo Lemurs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- El Paso Unable To Finish Sweep As Explorers Win Wild One - El Paso Diablos
- Anderson Pushes T-Bones to Win over Saltdogs - Kansas City T-Bones
- 'Hogs stay hot as calendar flips to July - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- T-Bones Bury 'Dogs Early in Blowout - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Wingnuts Grind out Win over Winnipeg - Wichita Wingnuts
- Pheasants Rally for Fourth Straight Win - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Goldeyes Can't Sweep League-Leading Wingnuts - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Pheasants Send RailCats to Fifth Straight Loss - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Sheldon, Saints beat RedHawks in Series Finale 8-4 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Laber of Love for Saints Offense in 8-4 Win over RedHawks - St. Paul Saints
- Lemurs Whip the Tornadoes - Laredo Lemurs
- AirHogs Win Another Bullpen Battle - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Explorers drop fifth straight game - Sioux City Explorers
- Pheasants Sweep Gary in Doubleheader - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saltdogs Take Lead in Eighth, Hold off T-Bones Again - Kansas City T-Bones
- Goldeyes Come Back on Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- Fish Shake off Early Deficit to Win Series - Winnipeg Goldeyes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Prairie AirHogs Stories
- Weekend Ballpark Parking Announced
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs
- AirHogs Rally late to Beat ThunderHeads
- Even Year Old Heart Recipient Throws Out Ceremonial First Pitch
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs