Hillcats and Blue Rocks Suspended on Wednesday
Wilmington, Del. - The Lynchburg Hillcats and Wilmington Blue Rocks were suspended on Wednesday night. Heavy rain fell over Frawley Stadium in the top of the ninth inning, with the game tied 2-2. The game will resume at 5:15 p.m. on Thursday, August 15, with the regularly scheduled nine-inning contest to follow, which will begin no earlier than 6:35 p.m.
At the time of the suspension, the Hillcats had runners at first and second base with nobody out. Connor Smith was at the plate in a 1-1 count. Jodd Carter singled to lead off the frame and Cody Farhat reached on a fielder's choice sacrifice bunt.
Wilmington struck first in the first inning. Ricky Aracena walked and stole second base. Later in the inning with one out, Kyle Isbel lined an RBI single to score Aracena, giving the Blue Rocks an early 1-0 lead.
In the third, the Royals affiliate added another run. Aracena tripled to start the frame and touched home after Juan Mota uncorked a wild pitch, widening the gap to 2-0.
Lynchburg chipped away at the deficit by scoring a run in the fifth. Will Benson walked to start the inning and moved to second after Jonathan Laureano singled. A fly out from Carter moved Benson and Laureano up to second and third, and a two-out RBI single from Farhat plated Benson to make it a 2-1 game.
Lynchburg evened the score at 2-2 in the eighth. Kwan singled and advanced to second base on an error by left fielder Tyler Hill. With two out, Mitch Reeves grooved a bloop RBI single to right field, scoring Kwan to tie the game.
Mota allowed two runs (one earned) on three hits over six innings. He walked three and struck out two. Luis Jimenez tossed a scoreless seventh inning and Aaron Pinto fired a clean eighth.
Jonathan Bowlan worked six innings and gave up a run on five hits, striking out four. Walker Sheller pitched a scoreless seventh, while Josh Mitchell allowed the tying run in the eighth. Collin Snider picked up the final out of the eighth and stranded the bases loaded.
The Hillcats and Blue Rocks will wrap up their series and Lynchburg will compete their season-long 15-game road trip with Thursday's regularly scheduled game. Left-hander Juan Hillman (4-11, 4.42) will start for Lynchburg against Bleu Rocks lefty Kris Bubic (5-3, 2.62)
Max Gun and Anders Jorstad will be on the air at 6:25 p.m. with the Hillcats pre-game show on TuneIn Radio and the Radio434 App.
The Hillcats will return to City Stadium on August 16 when the Carolina Mudcats, A-Adv. affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers come to town for a three-game set. Weekend highlights include First Responders Night on Saturday with post-game fireworks sponsored by Hill City Pharmacy. Friday's contest will also feature a post-game fireworks show presented by Pepsi. Sunday's game will be a Sandlot Sunday where all kids in attendance will be able to run the bases after the conclusion of the game.
For tickets or more information, visit lynchburg-hillcats.com, call 434-528-1144, or visit the City Stadium box office.
The Lynchburg Hillcats are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians. The Hillcats are eight-time Carolina League Champions, having most recently won the Mills Cup Championship in 2017. The Hillcats play their home games at City Stadium, which has been home to Minor League Baseball in Lynchburg since 1963. Visit the Hillcats online at Lynchburg-hillcats.com, and follow the Hillcats on Twitter (@LynHillcats), Instagram (@LynHillcats) and Facebook (Lynchburg Hillcats). For more information about the Lynchburg Hillcats, please contact Max Gun at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 14, 2019
- Potomac's Big Fifth Too Much to Overcome in Birds Loss - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Fayetteville Cruises Past Down East Behind Garciaâ??s 13 Strikeouts - Down East Wood Ducks
- Six-Run Fifth Inning Snap's Potomac's Losing Streak - Potomac Nationals
- Hillcats and Blue Rocks Suspended on Wednesday - Lynchburg Hillcats
- August 14 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Dash Drop Mudcats 4-2 in Zebulon - Carolina Mudcats
- Cavanerio, Bullpen Lead Dash to 4-2 Win on Wednesday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Faith Night, Meet the Team Set for Next Homestand - Frederick Keys
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: August 14 at Potomac - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- August 14 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (August 14 at Carolina) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Red Sox Roll over Keys 11-3 - Salem Red Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lynchburg Hillcats Stories
- Hillcats Announce Brand-New Partnership with Coca-Cola
- Hillcats Unveil Jam-Packed 2020 Promotional Schedule
- Maura Sheridan Joins Hillcats as New Broadcaster
- Lynchburg Hillcats Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
- All-Star Classic Highlights Hillcats' 2020 Schedule