Six-Run Fifth Inning Snap's Potomac's Losing Streak
Woodbridge, VA - Wednesday night's matchup between the Potomac Nationals (58-61, 28-24) and the Myrtle Beach Pelicans (47-72, 26-26) blistered through the first half of the game, but came to a screeching halt, as the P-Nats scored six runs on seven hits in the home half of the fifth inning against RHP Javier Assad (L, 4-9). Behind the six-run frame and a dominant start from LHP Nick Raquet (W, 10-8), Potomac picked up a 7-0 win.
The two starting pitchers traded zeroes through the top of the fifth inning, though Potomac had far more scoring chances. The P-Nats stranded a man in scoring position in each of the first two frames, while Myrtle Beach mustered just two hits over the first five innings.
After four-scoreless innings, Assad gave up six consecutive hits to begin the bottom of the fifth. DH KJ Harrison led off the inning with a towering solo home run to left field, which made it 1-0 Potomac. Following singles from RF Gage Canning and 2B Osvaldo Abreu, SS Gilbert Lara hit a rocket just over the wall in left-centerfield for a three-run home run, as Potomac took a 4-0 lead. 1B Aldrem Corredor and 3B Austin Davidson each tallied an RBI in the frame, as Assad went just 4.2 inning and was charged with six earned runs. RHP Chad Hockin got the final two outs of the fifth inning, as Potomac led 6-0 after five frames.
Raquet was brilliant once again, as the left-handed starter recorded his sixth consecutive quality start and earned the win in a fifth straight start. Over seven-shutout innings, Raquet allowed just two hits, both singles in the third inning. After 2B Carlos Sepulveda singled with one out in the third inning, Raquet retired 11 in a row and 14 of the last 15 batters that he faced.
Out of the Potomac bullpen, RHP Francys Peguero worked two-shutout innings, as he secured Potomac's shutout win, one night after the team was shut out 8-0.
With the series set for a rubber match on Thursday evening, LHP Tim Cate (4-3, 3.75) is scheduled to pitch for Potomac. The left-handed starter has spun consecutive quality starts and has done so in five of his last seven starts with Potomac. For the Pelicans, LHP Brendon Little (0-1, 16.88) will pitch for the series win. In his Carolina League debut last Friday, Little went just 2.2 innings and was charged with five earned runs. Both starters rank among the top 10 prospects in their respective organizations by MLB.com (Cate-8th, Little-7th).
First pitch at Northwest Federal Field at Pfitzner Stadium on Thursday night is set for 7:05pm. The Potomac broadcast will get underway at 6:50pm with the P-Nats Leadoff Show. You can listen to the Potomac broadcast at potomacnationals.com or on the TuneIn Radio App.
The Potomac Nationals of the Carolina League play at Northwest Federal Field at Pfitzner Stadium in Woodbridge, Virginia, and are the Carolina League affiliate of the Washington Nationals. The Potomac Nationals have claimed five Carolina League Championship titles (1982, 1989, 2008, 2010, and 2014) and 10 CL Northern Division Championships. Sponsorship opportunities for the P-Nats' 2019 season and beyond are available, as well as all-inclusive corporate picnic outings to watch the future stars of the Washington Nationals at The Pfitz. 2019 Potomac Nationals season tickets and mini plans are now on sale. For more information on Potomac Nationals 2019 season tickets, mini plans, group outings, picnic packages, fundraisers, and all things Red, White, and Blue, visit the P-Nats online at www.potomacnationals.com, follow the P-Nats on Facebook (@PotomacNationals), Twitter (@PNats42), and Instagram (@pnats42), or call the Potomac Nationals' Extreme Custom Collision Ticket Office at 703-590-2311.
Fredericksburg Baseball is set to begin Carolina League play in 2020 at a brand new, state-of-the-art stadium facility, located at Celebrate Virginia South on Carl D. Silver Parkway near the Fredericksburg Expo & Convention Center in Fredericksburg, VA. Celebrate baseball in The 'Burg and stay up to date with the progress of the new ballpark facility and the team online at www.fredericksburgbaseball.com, and follow Fredericksburg Baseball on Facebook (@FredericksburgBaseball), on Twitter (@FXBGBaseball20), and on Instagram (@fredericksburgbaseball).
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 14, 2019
- Potomac's Big Fifth Too Much to Overcome in Birds Loss - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Fayetteville Cruises Past Down East Behind Garciaâ??s 13 Strikeouts - Down East Wood Ducks
- Six-Run Fifth Inning Snap's Potomac's Losing Streak - Potomac Nationals
- Hillcats and Blue Rocks Suspended on Wednesday - Lynchburg Hillcats
- August 14 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Dash Drop Mudcats 4-2 in Zebulon - Carolina Mudcats
- Cavanerio, Bullpen Lead Dash to 4-2 Win on Wednesday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Faith Night, Meet the Team Set for Next Homestand - Frederick Keys
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: August 14 at Potomac - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- August 14 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (August 14 at Carolina) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Red Sox Roll over Keys 11-3 - Salem Red Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Potomac Nationals Stories
- Potomac Nationals Players Recognized in 2019 Minor League Awards
- 2019 Potomac Nationals Season in Review
- Fredericksburg Baseball Team Gets a Name
- Carson Teel Named Carolina League Player of the Month
- Fredericksburg Baseball Hires Nick Hall as New Executive Vice President and General Manager; Bryan Holland and Aaron Johnson Promoted to Vice Presidents