Cavanerio, Bullpen Lead Dash to 4-2 Win on Wednesday
ZEBULON, N.C. - Thanks to a strong start from Jorgan Cavanerio and solid work out of the bullpen, the Dash claimed a 4-2 victory over the Carolina Mudcats on Wednesday afternoon at Five County Stadium.
Making his 16th start with the Dash (24-27, 62-53), Cavanerio (8-2) allowed just one unearned run across five innings. The right-hander also held Carolina (21-31, 60-61) to just one hit.
In relief of Cavanerio, Wyatt Burns, Caleb Frare and Bennett Sousa combined to allow just one additional run. Frare struck out three across 1.1 innings of relief, while Sousa earned the save by pitching a perfect ninth with two strikeouts.
Winston-Salem struck first against Carolina starter Christian Taugner (5-8) in the top of the third. With one out, Steele Walker drew a walk. Then, Johan Cruz blooped a single into left field to put runners at first and second. Andrew Vaughn then drilled a two-run double into right-center field to give the Dash a 2-0 lead. It was Vaughn's third double in the last two games.
The Dash added to their lead in the top of the fourth. Mitch Roman led off the frame by lining a double down the right-field line. After a JJ Muno flyout to center, Yeyson Yrizarri was hit by a pitch. Then, Evan Skoug hit a fly ball into left field that went off the glove of a leaping Wes Rogers to score Roman and push the lead to three runs.
Carolina responded against Cavanerio in the bottom of the fourth. Rogers led off the inning by hitting a triple into right-center field. After a Tristen Lutz strikeout, Eddie Silva reached on an error by the third baseman Yrizarri, allowing Rogers to score to make it 3-1.
However, the Dash added another run in the top of the fifth. With two outs, Jameson Fisher bounced a single through the left side. Then, Roman lined a single into center field to put runners at first and second. Muno then drew a walk before Yrizarri drew a second straight walk, scoring Fisher to give the Dash a 4-1 edge.
The Mudcats inched closer in the bottom of the seventh against Burns. With two outs, Burns issued back-to-back walks before Payton Henry notched a pinch-hit, RBI single to make it 4-2. But, Frare and Sousa pitched a scoreless eighth and ninth respectively to end the ballgame.
The Dash conclude their series with Mudcats on Thursday night at 7 p.m. Left-hander Konnor Pilkington (3-9, 5.71 ERA) will get the ball for Winston-Salem against right-hander Matt Smith (4-10, 3.59 ERA). Pregame coverage begins at 6:45 p.m., and fans can catch all of the action on the Sports Hub Triad (101.5 FM and 600 AM), MiLB.tv and the TuneIn Radio App.
Following tomorrow's game at Carolina, the Dash return home for three games against the Potomac Nationals from August 16-18 at BB&T Ballpark. The series begins with Daddy-Daughter Date Night and a Fireworks Friday. Saturday's contest will be the final Chick-fil-A Four Pack Night of the season and will feature live music prior to the game. The series finale will be a Latin American Jersey Day and a Lowes Foods Family Sunday. Kids Run the Bases, powered by New Balance Winston-Salem will take following all three games.
For tickets and more information, call the Dash at (336) 714-2287 or visit wsdash.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 14, 2019
- Potomac's Big Fifth Too Much to Overcome in Birds Loss - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Fayetteville Cruises Past Down East Behind Garciaâ??s 13 Strikeouts - Down East Wood Ducks
- Six-Run Fifth Inning Snap's Potomac's Losing Streak - Potomac Nationals
- Hillcats and Blue Rocks Suspended on Wednesday - Lynchburg Hillcats
- August 14 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Dash Drop Mudcats 4-2 in Zebulon - Carolina Mudcats
- Cavanerio, Bullpen Lead Dash to 4-2 Win on Wednesday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Faith Night, Meet the Team Set for Next Homestand - Frederick Keys
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: August 14 at Potomac - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- August 14 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (August 14 at Carolina) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Red Sox Roll over Keys 11-3 - Salem Red Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.