Looking for stats?

Hershey Leaves Bitter Taste with Monarchs

February 2, 2013 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Manchester Monarchs News Release

HERSHEY, PA - The Manchester Monarchs scored late but couldn't overcome a two-goal deficit as they fell to the Hershey Bears, 2-1, at the Giant Center on Saturday night.

Manchester (21-21-2-2) is tied with the Worcester Sharks (20-18-1-5) for third place in the Atlantic Division with 46 points each. Hershey (21-19-2-2) is in fourth place in the East Division with 46 points.

"A strong performance by Martin Jones wasn't quite enough to get us back in the win column," said Monarchs Head Coach Mark Morris. "On both goals surrendered we left people unattended for quick plays at the net. We were a step late on both occasions. Jonesy had no chance. We'll continue to stress the importance of strong play, being aware of potential threats, staying tighter to opponents, boxing people out and being stronger and more assertive to win loose puck battles. We'll need to bury more chances and be a grittier team all over the ice."

Hershey opened a 2-0 lead with a goal by defenseman Cameron Schilling at 5:31 of the third period. Center Mike Carman took a pass from right wing Garrett Mitchell in the right wing face-off circle. Carman circled back along the right wing boards pulling up at the half wall before firing a pass to schilling in the slot. Schilling redirected the puck in the back of the net for the eventual game-winning goal and his fourth tally of the season.

The Bears opened the scoring at 2:05 of the first period with a goal by left wing Barry Almeida. Right wing Matt Clackson took a pass from Carman as he entered the Monarchs zone on the right wing. Clackson had the puck poked free by a Monarchs defenseman where Almeida who grabbed the loose puck and wristed a shot on goal from between the face-off circles for his fourth goal of the season.

Manchester cut the deficit to 2-1 with a goal by center Linden Vey at 14:06 of the third period. After a scramble in front of the Bears net, right wing Tyler Toffoli played the puck back to defenseman Chris Huxley just below the center point. Huxley fed Vey at the top of the left wing face-off circle for a one-timer. Vey's shot beat Bears netminder Philipp Grubauer for his 12th goal of the season.

Jones (11-15-2) took his 15th loss of the season making 42 saves on 44 shots. Grubauer (3-3-0) earned his third victory of the season stopping 22-of-23 shots.

Manchester went 0-for-2 on the power play. Hershey went 0-for-3 with the man advantage.

• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...

American Hockey League Stories from February 2, 2013

The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.

Other Recent Manchester Monarchs Stories