IceCaps Blank Senators to Sweep Series
ST. JOHN'S, NL - The St. John's IceCaps rode strong defensive play to a 1-0 triumph over the Binghamton Senators Saturday at Mile One Centre to sweep the two-game series.
Eric O'Dell scored the game's only goal on a second period power play while Eddie Pasquale stopped all 24 shots he faced for his fourth shutout of the season. Robin Lehner made 29 saves in the Binghamton net but was saddled with the loss for the second consecutive night.
With the victory, the IceCaps extended their home winning streak to a season-high three games and completed a two-game sweep at Mile One Centre for the first time this season.
After a scoreless first period, the IceCaps appeared to get on the board when O'Dell shovelled in a rebound to Lehner's left. However, referee Trent Knorr determined that Jason Gregoire made incidental contact with Lehner and the goal was waived off.
Following the play, Senators forward Darren Kramer took an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty after a dust-up near the IceCaps bench, and on the ensuing power play St. John's capitalized. With Pasquale on the bench for the extra attacker after another delayed call on the Senators, Ben Maxwell controlled the puck and gained the Binghamton zone before finding O'Dell streaking down the left side. O'Dell made a strong move to cut towards the net and slid a wrist shot underneath Lehner to make it 1-0 St. John's.
The IceCaps got in some penalty trouble towards the end of the second frame when Maxwell was whistled for goaltender interference, followed by a delay of game penalty to Max Macenauer after he committed a faceoff violation for playing the puck with his hand. However, St. John's managed to escape the situation with some strong shorthanded play and held on in the third for the 1-0 win.
The IceCaps continue their six-game home stand Tuesday and Wednesday when they host Atlantic Division rival the Worcester Sharks. Catch all the action with broadcaster Brian Rogers at stjohnsicecaps.com and on 930 AM This Is Newfoundland Labrador, or watch online at ahllive.com. Puck drop is 7:30 p.m. with the pregame show getting underway at 7:00 (all times Newfoundland).
Notes: F Eric O'Dell extended his point streak to three games and has scored a goal in back-to-back outings... St. John's went a combined 3-for-16 on the power play in the two-game series. The IceCaps killed off 7-of-8 shorthanded situations... F Ben Maxwell led St. John's with four shots on goal and collected an assist on O'Dell's goal, earning third star of the game for his performance... G Eddie Pasquale's shutout was his fourth of the season. The sophomore netminder had four in 38 games last season... The IceCaps reached 60 consecutive regular season sellouts at Mile One Centre.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 2, 2013
- Cundari Powers Rivermen Past Wolves - Peoria Rivermen
- Crunch Struggle against Amerks - Syracuse Crunch
- Brock Nelson's first pro hat trick propels Sound Tigers to 4-1 victory - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Falcons edge Connecticut - Connecticut Whale
- Wolves Struggles against Peoria Continue, Fall 5-3 - Chicago Wolves
- Petr Mrazek Earns First Pro Shutout - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Shut Out 1-0 in Grand Rapids - Abbotsford Heat
- Hershey Leaves Bitter Taste with Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Penguins Grind out Goalie-Duel Win - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Fall Short 2-0 in Front of 7,966 - Worcester Sharks
- Penguins Down Phantoms for Fifth Straight Home Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Falcons Quiet Whale - Springfield Falcons
- Whale Draw Second-Largest Crowd in Franchise History - Connecticut Whale
- Sound Tigers Claw Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Devils Shut out by Pirates - Albany Devils
- Bears Fire Away, Defeat Monarchs - Hershey Bears
- Bruins Extend Streak to Five - Providence Bruins
- IceCaps Blank Senators to Sweep Series - St. John's IceCaps
- B-Sens Fall to IceCaps, 1-0 - Binghamton Senators
- Toronto Downs Hamilton 4-2 - Toronto Marlies
- Marlies Defeat Bulldogs 4-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Dallas Recalls Reilly Smith from Texas - Texas Stars
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield At Connecticut, Game #44 - Springfield Falcons
- Sound Tigers Recall Reiter - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.