Sound Tigers Claw Past Admirals
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. - Brock Nelson netted a hat trick to lead the Bridgeport Sound Tigers (21-19-2-3) past the Norfolk Admirals (18-23-2-1), 4-1, on Saturday night at Webster Bank Arena.
Peter Holland scored Norfolk's lone goal for his 100th career professional point, which gave the Admirals a 1-0 lead in the first period. However, Bridgeport used a pair of power play goals to erase the deficit. Admirals goaltender Igor Bobkov (8-12-0) turned aside 29 of 32 shots in the setback.
The Admirals return to Scope next week to face off against their East Division rivals, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, on Friday and Saturday nights. Friday night is Military Appreciation night, presented by USAA.
Norfolk took a 1-0 lead on Holland's team-leading 14th goal of the season. While on a five-on-three power play, Nate Guenin sent a slap shot from the high slot. The rebound traveled into the right circle, where Holland was able to send a shot over Bridgeport goaltender Kevin Poulin at 14:18.
However, the Admirals were unable to solve Poulin for the remainder of the contest, and Nelson provided all the offense Bridgeport would need to win. Nelson found the rebound of a blocked shot in the right circle and sent a shot past Bobkov to tie the game at 1-1 just 0:37 into the second period.
Nelson scored again on the power play 6:55 into the third period to give Bridgeport a 2-1 lead. Nino Niederreiter deflected a shot past Bobkov at 9:14 of the final frame before Nelson scored into the empty net with 46 seconds remaining for the 4-1 final score.
Poulin (14-10-3) stopped 26 of 27 shots for the win.
Norfolk was 1-for-7 on the power play. Bridgeport was 2-for-6.
The next home action for the Admirals takes place on Friday and Saturday nights against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. The puck drops on Friday at 7:30 p.m., and on Saturday at 7:15 p.m.
The second Military Appreciation Night, presented by USAA, takes place on Friday. Red Level Tickets (normally $19 on game nights) will be available for just $11 at the Norfolk Scope Box Office for all active or retired military, their dependents and reservists with valid military identification. Groups of 15 or more can purchase their Red Level Tickets for just $9 by contacting the Admirals Group Sales Office via phone at (757) 640-1212 ext. 23.
In addition, the first 2,500 fans through the gates on Friday will receive Admirals thundersticks courtesy of Tim Horton's.
Don't miss a minute of Admirals action by purchasing your season tickets today. Stop by the Admirals' Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com anytime.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 2, 2013
- Cundari Powers Rivermen Past Wolves - Peoria Rivermen
- Crunch Struggle against Amerks - Syracuse Crunch
- Brock Nelson's first pro hat trick propels Sound Tigers to 4-1 victory - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Falcons edge Connecticut - Connecticut Whale
- Wolves Struggles against Peoria Continue, Fall 5-3 - Chicago Wolves
- Petr Mrazek Earns First Pro Shutout - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Shut Out 1-0 in Grand Rapids - Abbotsford Heat
- Hershey Leaves Bitter Taste with Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Penguins Grind out Goalie-Duel Win - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Fall Short 2-0 in Front of 7,966 - Worcester Sharks
- Penguins Down Phantoms for Fifth Straight Home Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Falcons Quiet Whale - Springfield Falcons
- Whale Draw Second-Largest Crowd in Franchise History - Connecticut Whale
- Sound Tigers Claw Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Devils Shut out by Pirates - Albany Devils
- Bears Fire Away, Defeat Monarchs - Hershey Bears
- Bruins Extend Streak to Five - Providence Bruins
- IceCaps Blank Senators to Sweep Series - St. John's IceCaps
- B-Sens Fall to IceCaps, 1-0 - Binghamton Senators
- Toronto Downs Hamilton 4-2 - Toronto Marlies
- Marlies Defeat Bulldogs 4-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Dallas Recalls Reilly Smith from Texas - Texas Stars
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield At Connecticut, Game #44 - Springfield Falcons
- Sound Tigers Recall Reiter - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Norfolk Admirals Stories
- Final Stretch Begins with Three-Game Stretch in Florida
- Seven-Game Home Win Streak Snapped by IceMen on Sunday Afternoon
- Game Day: Admirals Wrap up Weekend Hosting IceMen
- Admirals Complete Season Sweep of Swamp Rabbits, Run Home Win Streak to Seven
- Game Day: Admirals Look to Channel Inner Irish on St. Hatrick's Day