Heat Beat Rampage in Overtime
San Antonio, TX- The Abbotsford Heat beat the San Antonio Rampage (AHL affiliate of the Florida Panthers) 3-2 in overtime on Saturday night at AT&T Center. The Heat remain second place in the West Division with a 24-13-1-1 record and 50 points.
The Heat staged a third period comeback and earned their fourth overtime win of the season on Ben Street's game winning goal. The victory snapped a four game losing skid and was the first win in 2014 for the Heat. It was a milestone game for Troy G. Ward, who earned his 100th win as Head Coach of the Heat.
The Rampage opened the scoring on the power play at 6:29 on a goal from Vincent Trocheck. During four on four play, Chad Billins scored his seventh goal of the season at the 15:36 mark, assisted by Max Reinhart and Tyler Wotherspoon. The Rampage held a 12-8 shot advantage after 20 minutes.
In the second period, the Rampage scored the lone goal on another power play at 13:48 from Garrett Wilson to give the home team a 2-1 edge.
Josh Jooris tied the game in the third period, scoring his fourth of the season unassisted at 10:47 to force overtime.
During the four on four overtime, Ben Street scored his team leading 17th goal of the season at 3:38, assisted by Markus Granlund and Tyler Wotherspoon.
The Heat were zero for three on the power play and killed off two of four penalties in the game.
Joni Ortio picked up his league leading 16th win of the season stopping 31 of 33 shots, while Jacob Markstrom was charged the loss turning away 23 of 26 shots.
The Heat continue their six-game road trip on Wednesday against the Rockford IceHogs (AHL affiliate of the Chicago Blackhawks). After the road trip, the Heat will return home and begin an eight-game home stand, starting with the Utica Comets on January 24th and 25th at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre. For tickets please call 1-877-452-HEAT (4328) or visit us online at www.abbotsfordheat.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 12, 2014
- Monsters Fall 6-5 in Milwaukee - Cleveland Monsters
- Bulldogs Tame Wild 3-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Lee Leads Sound Tigers over Wolf Pack 6-3 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bulldogs Defeat Wild 3-1 - Iowa Wild
- Bears Dispatch Devils on the Boardwalk - Hershey Bears
- Falcons Close out Weekend with Loss to Norfolk - Springfield Falcons
- Devils Lose To Bears In Atlantic City - Albany Devils
- My Cousin Vinny - Manchester Monarchs
- Bridgeport Handles Wolf Pack 6-3 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sharks Sweep 3-In-3 Home Weekend After 4-3 Win on Sunday over Pirates - Worcester Sharks
- Hard Fought Effort Lifts Norfolk to 2-1 Win over Springfield - Norfolk Admirals
- P-Bruins Fall to Monarchs 2-1 - Providence Bruins
- Sharks Sink Shorthanded Pirates 4-3 - Portland Pirates
- IceCaps Recall Hutchinson, Re-Assign Olkinuora - St. John's IceCaps
- Coyotes Recall Szwarz, Assign Murphy to Portland - Portland Pirates
- Pirates Wrap Busy Stretch in Sharks Territory - Portland Pirates
- Wolf Pack Sign Forward Justin Vaive to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets fall to Stars - Utica Comets
- Flames Recall Ben Street from Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Heat Beat Rampage in Overtime - Abbotsford Heat