Heat Beat Griffins 3-2
Grand Rapids, MI- The Abbotsford Heat defeated the Grand Rapids Griffins (AHL affiliate of the Detroit Red Wings) 3-2 on Saturday night at Van Andel Arena. The Heat remain in second place in the West Division with a 26-14-1-1 record and 54 points.
Max Reinhart led the way offensively for the Heat, recording a three point game (1-2-3). With the win, the Heat were able to finish their six game road-trip with a record of 3-3-0-0.
The Heat broke the deadlock as Carter Bancks scored the first shorthanded goal of the season for the Heat at the 10:46 mark, assisted by Max Reinhart. The lead did not last long, as Nathan Paetsch scored a power play goal at 11:29 to tie the game at 1-1. Just over three minutes later, Reinhart scored his eighth of the season on a breakaway with the assists going to Dean Arsene and Chad Billins.
In the second period, the Griffins evened the score at 2-2 at the 4:59 mark on a goal from Xavier Ouellet. At 7:53, Markus Granlund replied for the Heat scoring his 16th goal of the season, assisted by Reinhart and Sven Baertschi. After 40 minutes, the Heat outshot the Griffins 26-25.
The Heat shut down the Griffins offense in the third period as Joni Ortio stopped all eight shots he faced. The Heat hung on for a 3-2 final score.
The Heat were zero out of three on the power play and killed off two of three penalties in the game.
Joni Ortio picked up his league leading 17th win of the season stopping 31 of 33 shots, while Tom McCollum was charged the loss turning away 33 of 36 shots.
The Heat return home from their six game road-trip and begin an eight-game home stand, starting with the Utica Comets on January 24th and 25th at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre. For tickets please call 1-877-452-HEAT (4328) or visit us online at www.abbotsfordheat.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 18, 2014
- Labarbera Can't Save Hogs in 2-1 Loss - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Earn 1-0 Overtime Victory in Front of Sellout Crowd - Norfolk Admirals
- Another Sellout Crowd in Glens Falls; Phantoms Fall Short 4-1 - Adirondack Phantoms
- Falcons Score Four Unanswered Goals To Beat Bruins - Springfield Falcons
- Griffins Fall to Heat, 3-2 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Barons Sink Admirals 2-1 Behind Bachman - Oklahoma City Barons
- Rampage Fall 3-2 at Home to Rochester - San Antonio Rampage
- Wolves Roast IceHogs 2-1 in Front of Sellout Crowd - Chicago Wolves
- Connolly's Hat Trick Not Enough to Defeat Senators - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks Hold off Rampage with 3-2 Win in San Antonio - Rochester Americans
- Defense Leads Penguins Past Pirates - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Canadiens Assign Beaulieu and Nattinen to Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Penguins Skate Past Pirates 4-2 - Portland Pirates
- Bulldogs Fall to Comets 3-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- P-Bruins Fall to Falcons 5-3 - Providence Bruins
- Heat Beat Griffins 3-2 - Abbotsford Heat
- Bears win over Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sharks Grab a Point in 1-0 Overtime Loss in Norfolk - Worcester Sharks
- Devils Win Again, Down Phantoms - Albany Devils
- Senators Drops Crunch 6-3 - Binghamton Senators
- Bears Power Past Sound Tigers - Hershey Bears
- Berube Makes It Toff(oli) - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Blank IceCaps 6-0 - St. John's IceCaps
- Monsters Fall in Iowa 1-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- Curry Leads Wild to 1-0 Shutout of Monsters - Iowa Wild
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Checkers Get Revenge on Texas - Charlotte Checkers
- Charlotte Exacts Revenge on Texas 6-1 - Texas Stars
- Gameday: Comets at Hamilton - Utica Comets
- Hogs Acquire Defenseman Miskovic - Rockford IceHogs
- Rampage Trade D Zach Miskovic to Rockford - San Antonio Rampage
- Minnesota Returns Blum to Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Pirates Welcome Wilkes-Barre/Scranton for Only Visit of Season - Portland Pirates
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.