Gulls Rally to 4-3 Shootout Victory over Rampage
SAN ANTONIO - Max Gortz's first-period goal and shootout tally lifted the San Diego Gulls (37-15-3-2) to a 4-3 victory over the San Antonio Rampage (24-32-5-2) on Saturday night in front of 9,846 at the AT&T Center.
Forward Reid Petryk registered a two-goal game en route to the Second Star of the Game, while forward Troy Bourke recorded two assists on the evening.
After nearly 16 minutes of scoreless hockey, the Gulls were first to light the lamp at the 15:53 mark of the first period when Gortz connected on the power play with Andrew Wellinski and Kevin Roy.
Despite the one-goal deficit after the opening frame, San Antonio rallied in the second stanza to tie the game at one when Petryk went top shelf on San Diego netminder Kevin Boyle at the 12:18 mark. Roughly two minutes later, the Rampage took the lead when Shawn St. Amant buried a rebounding puck from Mat Clark's initial shot at 14:56. The Silver and Black took their 2-1 lead into the second intermission.
The Rampage extended their lead to two at the 7:58 mark of the third period when Petryk collected his second of the evening from Bourke and Eric Gelinas. However, the two-goal lead didn't hold as San Diego's Corey Tropp registered a power-play goal at 9:28. With time winding down, the Gulls landed the game-tying goal from Spencer Abbott at 17:39, forcing the game into extra time. After a scoreless overtime period, Gortz landed the game winner during the fourth round of the shootout.
Forwards: Defensemen: Goaltenders:
Greer - O'Brien - St. Amant Bigras - Clark Martin
Elson - Smith - Grimaldi Boikov - Siemens Cannata
Ranford - Girard - Bourque Geertsen - Gelinas
Bourke - Belzile - Petryk
The Rampage have two days off before returning to the AT&T Center to take on the Tucson Roadrunners in a Tuesday night tilt at 7 p.m. CT. All Rampage games can be heard on Ticket 760 and SARampage.com. Individual and season tickets are available and can be purchased by calling a Rampage representative at 210-444-5554 or online at SARampage.com. The 2016-17 season is presented by Wells Fargo.
# # SARampage.com # #
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 19, 2017
- Admirals Score Four in Second Period, Top Griffins 6-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Second Period Propels Admirals to Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Flames Sign Prospects Ryan Lomberg And Tyler Parsons to Entry Level Contracts - Stockton Heat
- P-Bruins Third Period Rally Falls Short in 5-2 Loss - Providence Bruins
- Sound Tigers Strike First But Fall to Hershey 3-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Comets Dominate Bruins Early, Win 5-2 - Utica Comets
- Rampage Reassign Defenseman Justin Hamonic to Colorado Eagles - San Antonio Rampage
- Coyotes Recall Michalek and Dauphin from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Syracuse Crunch Release Daniel Doremus from PTO - Syracuse Crunch
- Red Wings Recall Nosek - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Byron Froese, Joel Vermin to Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Condors Sweep Tucson with 4-3 Win - Bakersfield Condors
- Griffins Edge Wolves in Overtime, 3-2 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manitoba Moose Recap: Rockford 3 at Manitoba 5 - Manitoba Moose
- Connor, Moose Cruise by Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls Rally to 4-3 Shootout Victory over Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Griffins Skin Wolves Again in Overtime - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Fall to Wild in Iowa - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.