Second Period Propels Admirals to Win
Milwaukee, WI-The Admirals busted out for four goals in the second period to turn a 2-1 deficit into a 5-2 advantage on their way to a 6-3 win against the Grand Rapids Griffins Sunday afternoon at Panther Arena.
Anthony Richard led charge in the second period, picking up a Gordie Howe hat trick (a goal, an assist, and a fight) during the middle frame alone.
The win was even more impressive give it was the Admirals third game in as many days and the team had to travel seven hours to Des Moines, IA each of the last two nights.
Marek Mazanec stopped 28 shots to earn his 21st win of the season and came within a couple of feet of becoming the first Admiral goalie in 12 years to score a goal when he's full-ice shot with a Grand Rapids empty net trickled just wide.
The Griffins got on the board early when Eric Tangradi scored on a wrister from the right circle 3:31 into the game.
The Ads leveled the score on Matt White's 13th goal of the year with 2;43 to play in the first. Pontus Aberg flipped an outlet pass high in air that White caught right at the blue line and skated in on Griffins goalie Eddie Pasquale and then slipped a backhand five hole for the tally.
Martin Frk gave the Griffins a brief 2-1 lead 1:10 into the second, then the Admirals offense exploded, scoring four times the rest of sandwich frame, beginning with Vladislav Kamenev's tally at just over four minutes in. Richard and Freddy Gaudreau followed with goals of their own and Pontus Aberg put an exclamation point on the frame with a power-play marker with only three seconds to play giving Milwaukee a 5-2 lead after 40 minutes.
Tangradi scored a power-play goal in the third for the Griffins to pull them with in two, but Adam Payerl sealed it with an empty-netter with 15 seconds to go.
The Admirals are off until next Thursday when they head to Winnipeg for a two game set against the Manitoba Moose. Milwaukee's next home game is Sunday, March 26 when they host the Griffins in a 3 pm faceoff.
Don't forget to follow the Admirals on Twitter (@mkeadmirals) and like us on Facebook.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 19, 2017
- Admirals Score Four in Second Period, Top Griffins 6-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Second Period Propels Admirals to Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Flames Sign Prospects Ryan Lomberg And Tyler Parsons to Entry Level Contracts - Stockton Heat
- P-Bruins Third Period Rally Falls Short in 5-2 Loss - Providence Bruins
- Sound Tigers Strike First But Fall to Hershey 3-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Comets Dominate Bruins Early, Win 5-2 - Utica Comets
- Rampage Reassign Defenseman Justin Hamonic to Colorado Eagles - San Antonio Rampage
- Coyotes Recall Michalek and Dauphin from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Syracuse Crunch Release Daniel Doremus from PTO - Syracuse Crunch
- Red Wings Recall Nosek - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Byron Froese, Joel Vermin to Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Condors Sweep Tucson with 4-3 Win - Bakersfield Condors
- Griffins Edge Wolves in Overtime, 3-2 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manitoba Moose Recap: Rockford 3 at Manitoba 5 - Manitoba Moose
- Connor, Moose Cruise by Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls Rally to 4-3 Shootout Victory over Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Griffins Skin Wolves Again in Overtime - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Fall to Wild in Iowa - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.