Admirals Fall to Wild in Iowa
Des Moines, IA- Rookie Gerald Mayhew scored his first two professional goals to lead the Iowa Wild to a win over the Milwaukee Admirals Saturday night at Wells Fargo Arena.
Iowa goalie Steve Michalek stopped 27 shots to improve to 3-0-0 this season against Milwaukee.
Iowa scored a power play goal to get on the board at 3:35 of the first period. Mayhew scored his first professional goal as he pushed a rebound into the net. The goal snapped a 0-for-19 stretch on the power play against Milwaukee for the Wild.
Wild forward Zack Mitchell scored his 10th goal of the season at 6:33 of the first period to give Iowa a 2-0 lead. Mitchell's shot from the right corner bounced into the goal off Ads netminder Jonas Gunnarsson.
The Admirals tied the game in the second period when Stephen Perfetto scored his first AHL goal at 14:38. Anthony Richard left the puck at center ice for Frederick Gaudreau. Gaudreau skated into the Wild zone past defenseman Mike Reilly and fed a pass for Perfetto to tap in at the left goal post.
Mayhew scored his second goal of the game at 1:49 of the third period to seal the win for the Wild. His shot from the right circle beat Gunnarsson to the goalie's right.
A.J. Jenks forced a turnover at Milwaukee's blue line and skated into the left circle before snapping a shot into the net for his first goal of the year with 2:41 remaining in the game.
Milwaukee returns to UW-Milwaukee Panther Arena Sun., Mar. 19 against Grand Rapids.
Don't forget to follow the Admirals on Twitter (@mkeadmirals) and like us on Facebook. 9namp_
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 19, 2017
- Admirals Score Four in Second Period, Top Griffins 6-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Second Period Propels Admirals to Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Flames Sign Prospects Ryan Lomberg And Tyler Parsons to Entry Level Contracts - Stockton Heat
- P-Bruins Third Period Rally Falls Short in 5-2 Loss - Providence Bruins
- Sound Tigers Strike First But Fall to Hershey 3-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Comets Dominate Bruins Early, Win 5-2 - Utica Comets
- Rampage Reassign Defenseman Justin Hamonic to Colorado Eagles - San Antonio Rampage
- Coyotes Recall Michalek and Dauphin from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Syracuse Crunch Release Daniel Doremus from PTO - Syracuse Crunch
- Red Wings Recall Nosek - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Byron Froese, Joel Vermin to Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Condors Sweep Tucson with 4-3 Win - Bakersfield Condors
- Griffins Edge Wolves in Overtime, 3-2 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manitoba Moose Recap: Rockford 3 at Manitoba 5 - Manitoba Moose
- Connor, Moose Cruise by Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls Rally to 4-3 Shootout Victory over Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Griffins Skin Wolves Again in Overtime - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Fall to Wild in Iowa - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.