Grizzlies Win 5-2 on Military Night
West Valley City, Utah - Mike Economos had 2 goals and 1 assist and Mitch Maxwell and Teigan Zahn each added a goal and an assist as the Utah Grizzlies defeat the Rapid City Rush 5-2 in front of a big crowd of 9237 at Maverik Center.
It was Military Night Presented by Mark Miller Subaru and the Grizzlies scored 5 unanswered goals in their specialty jersey's that were auctioned off after the game. A total of $13,425 were raised in the jersey auction.
Rapid City scored twice in the first period as Tyler Poulsen scored his 12th of the season 2:51 into the game. Cedric Montminy scored his team leading 17th of the season for the Rush 14:59 into the period.
Special teams won the day for the Grizzlies in the second period. Utah scored a shorthanded goal 7:01 as Mitch Maxwell got his 3rd of the season. Utah tied up the game on a power play goal from Gabriel Verpaelst. The Grizzlies took the lead as Mike Economos caught a cross ice pass after coming out of the penalty box from Taylor Richart and scored his 9th of the season.
Utah outshot Rapid City 34 to 33. The key period was the 2nd, where Utah outshot the Rush 21 to 8. Utah was 1 for 5 on the power play and the penalty kill was a perfect 5 for 5 as well as an empty net goal.
Teigan Zahn scored his 3rd of the season 4:58 into the period. Zahn was a plus-4 on the game. Turner Ottenbreit and Mitch Maxwell were each a plus-3.
Economos ended the scoring with an empty net goal with 1:54 left. It was his 2nd of the night and 10th of the season. Ryan Walters got the assist on the goal. That was his 300th professional point. Walters has 16 goals and 26 assists on the season.
Joey Ratelle made his Grizzlies debut on Saturday night. He got in a fight in the first period. He ended the night with 3 shots on goal. Ratelle had 23 goals and 24 assists and 200 penalty minutes last season for the 2018 Kelly Cup Champion Colorado Eagles.
The 6th and final game in the series with Rapid City is Monday, March 18th at 7 pm. It's a Maverik Monday where tickets are buy one get one free when you show your Maverik Adventure Card at the Maverik Center box office when purchasing tickets.
3 stars of the game
1. Mike Economos (Utah) - 2 goals, 1 assist.
2. Mitch Maxwell (Utah) - 1 goal, 1 assist.
3. Teigan Zahn (Utah) - 1 goal, 1 assist.
Grizzlies notes: Utah scored 5 unanswered goals on Adam Carlson. Utah had only 8 goals in the previous 8 games against Carlson. Joe Cannata stopped 31 of 33 shots for the Grizzlies. Time of game: 2:45. Attendance was 9237.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 17, 2019
- Solar Bears Fall to Steelheads 4-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Win OT Thriller - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Clinch 22nd-Straight Postseason Appearance with 4-1 Win over Orlando - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Closes Road Trip with OT Loss in Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Stingrays Withstand Everblades' Comeback to Win Series Finale - Florida Everblades
- 6 Different Scorers Give Stingrays Win over Florida - South Carolina Stingrays
- Swamp Rabbits' Offense Quieted by IceMen - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Battle Back But Come up Short in 7-4 Home Loss to Monarchs - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Fall in Eighteen Round Shootout - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mariners Top Growlers in Epic Eighteen Round Shootout - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Use Four Third-Period Goals to Crown Royals 6-3 - Adirondack Thunder
- Atlanta Improves Point Streak to Five Games with 2-1 Home Win over the Admirals - Atlanta Gladiators
- Adirondack Goes Ahead in Final Three Minutes and Defeats Royals, 6-3 - Reading Royals
- Kivlenieks Backstops K-Wings to 2-1 Victory on Green Ice - Kalamazoo Wings
- Monarchs Rack up Seven Goals on Railers in 7-4 Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Beast Can't Solve Fucale, Drop Third Straight - Brampton Beast
- ECHL Transactions - March 17 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Steelheads - Orlando Solar Bears
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Things Turning Green for St. Patrick's Day - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day at Adirondack: Catch Today's Game on BCTV at 2:45 p.m. - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 5-2 Military Night Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 5-2 on Military Night - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.