Thunder Use Four Third-Period Goals to Crown Royals 6-3
GLENS FALLS, NY - Hans Gorowsky netted his first two goals as a professional, Dylan Walchuk tallied the game-winning goal with 2:58 to play and the Adirondack Thunder used a little luck to top the Royals 6-3 on a St. Patrick's Day Sunday matinee.
Gorowsky and Walchuk scored 29 seconds apart late in the third to quickly turn a one-goal deficit into a Thunder advantage. First, Gorowsky converted on a beautiful set-up from James Henry behind the net to tie the game at 3-3 with 3:27 to play in regulation. The Thunder captain held the puck behind Royals netminder Jamie Phillips before sliding a dime of a pass to the rookie forward in front of the cage where Gorowsky one-timed the puck in to force the tie.
Walchuk followed less than 30 seconds later when he pounced on a loose puck in front of the net to give Adirondack its second lead of the afternoon. Cullen Bradshaw did the dirty work behind the net and the puck squirted to an open area in front of the goalmouth. Walchuk fell down to his knees but still got enough on his poke to push it through the five-hole of Phillips and give the Thunder a lead they wouldn't surrender.
After Kevin Goumas scored the only goal in the opening frame for Reading, Adirondack tied it off the stick of Kelly Summers just over seven minutes into the second. On a set play with an offensive-zone draw win, Peter MacArthur slid a pass to Michael Sdao at the right point. Sdao went D-to-D with Summers who blasted his one-timer off a loose Royals stick in front of the net and past Phillips to get Adirondack on the board.
Gorowsky's first professional goal gave the Thunder a 2-1 lead at 11:48 of the second period. Andrew Tessier took the initial shot from the right point and the rebound trickled to the left of Phillips. Gorowsky swooped in to tap in the loose puck for his first goal in his second game played.
Reading retook its one-goal lead with two power-play goals late in the second - the first on a 5-on-3 with a slap-shot from Josh MacDonald before Chris McCarthy made it two quick scores on a tremendous redirection in front of Cam Johnson with just 18 seconds to play in the period.
Adirondack couldn't muster a score until Gorowsky tied it at 16:33 of the final frame. The Thunder went on to score four goals in exactly three minutes to pull away from Reading.
After Walchuk gave Adirondack the 4-3 lead, Sdao and Mike Szmatula added empty-net goals to increase the advantage. The lengthy shot from Sdao gave him a multi-point effort on the night as he ended his 14-game pointless streak.
Cam Johnson, who was re-assigned to the Thunder earlier this morning from the AHL's Binghamton Devils, made 29 stops in net for Adirondack and kept the Thunder in the game with a multitude of tremendous stops throughout the third period. It was a one-game stint for Johnson who will return to the AHL after today's game.
The Thunder are off during the week before playing a pair of games in Brampton on Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon. For the latest Thunder news, follow the team on all social @ECHLThunder.
Images from this story
Adirondack Thunder forward Matt Salhany faces the Reading Royals
Adirondack Thunder forward Mike Szmatula against the Reading Royals
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 17, 2019
- Solar Bears Fall to Steelheads 4-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Win OT Thriller - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Clinch 22nd-Straight Postseason Appearance with 4-1 Win over Orlando - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Closes Road Trip with OT Loss in Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Stingrays Withstand Everblades' Comeback to Win Series Finale - Florida Everblades
- 6 Different Scorers Give Stingrays Win over Florida - South Carolina Stingrays
- Swamp Rabbits' Offense Quieted by IceMen - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Battle Back But Come up Short in 7-4 Home Loss to Monarchs - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Fall in Eighteen Round Shootout - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mariners Top Growlers in Epic Eighteen Round Shootout - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Use Four Third-Period Goals to Crown Royals 6-3 - Adirondack Thunder
- Atlanta Improves Point Streak to Five Games with 2-1 Home Win over the Admirals - Atlanta Gladiators
- Adirondack Goes Ahead in Final Three Minutes and Defeats Royals, 6-3 - Reading Royals
- Kivlenieks Backstops K-Wings to 2-1 Victory on Green Ice - Kalamazoo Wings
- Monarchs Rack up Seven Goals on Railers in 7-4 Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Beast Can't Solve Fucale, Drop Third Straight - Brampton Beast
- ECHL Transactions - March 17 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Steelheads - Orlando Solar Bears
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Things Turning Green for St. Patrick's Day - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day at Adirondack: Catch Today's Game on BCTV at 2:45 p.m. - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 5-2 Military Night Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 5-2 on Military Night - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Adirondack Thunder Stories
- Adirondack's Season Ends with Game 5 Loss to Manchester
- Thunder Extend Season with Dramatic Come-From-Behind Win in Game 4
- Six Unanswered Lead Monarchs to 2-0 Series Lead
- Thunder Drop First Game of Series to Monarchs by 4-2 Final
- Logan Thompson Signs PTO with Binghamton Devils