Growlers Fall in Eighteen Round Shootout
The Newfoundland Growlers lost a heartbreaker in an eighteen round shootout, 5-4 to the Maine Mariners Sunday afternoon.
The Growlers came out of the gate in the first period strong and showed little fatigue of playing three games in three days as they scored three goals in the first 20 minutes of play. Brady Ferguson notched two goals and Tyler Mayea scored his first pro goal as the Growlers took a 3-1 lead into the dressing room.
Maine showed no quit as they responded quickly in the second as Dillian Fox put the Mariners within one after jumping on his own rebound and sliding it in under Eamon McAdam.
Josh Kestner restored the two goal Growler lead just two minutes later on a breakaway stemming from a Mariner fumble in their own zone.
The Growlers two goal lead held until the second half of the third period, Maine kept the pressure on the Growlers and successfully completed the comeback as Dillan Fox and Drew Melanson both scored their second goals of the game, tieing the game at 4-4.
The game would stay tied after the five minute overtime session and a wild eighteen round shootout would follow. Maine eventually came out on top with Wade Murphy pushing the puck in and behind Eamon McAdam to register the win.
Evan Neugold had his shootout goal waived off in the 11th round after the referees huddled to discuss whether or not Mariners goaltender Chris Nell's stick made contact with the puck prior to Neugold shoveling it into the wide open 4 x 6.
Brady Ferguson had a three-point night.
Josh Kestner is on a five-game point streak
The three stars were 3 - W. Murphy (MNE), 2 - D. Fox (MNE) and 1 - D. Melanson (MNE)
The Newfoundland Growlers continue their six-game road trip Wednesday in Machester versus the Monarchs, puck drop is 8:30 NST. Catch all the action with play-by-play broadcaster Chris Ballard at mixlr.com/nlgrowlers.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 17, 2019
- Solar Bears Fall to Steelheads 4-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Win OT Thriller - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Clinch 22nd-Straight Postseason Appearance with 4-1 Win over Orlando - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Closes Road Trip with OT Loss in Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Stingrays Withstand Everblades' Comeback to Win Series Finale - Florida Everblades
- 6 Different Scorers Give Stingrays Win over Florida - South Carolina Stingrays
- Swamp Rabbits' Offense Quieted by IceMen - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Battle Back But Come up Short in 7-4 Home Loss to Monarchs - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Fall in Eighteen Round Shootout - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mariners Top Growlers in Epic Eighteen Round Shootout - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Use Four Third-Period Goals to Crown Royals 6-3 - Adirondack Thunder
- Atlanta Improves Point Streak to Five Games with 2-1 Home Win over the Admirals - Atlanta Gladiators
- Adirondack Goes Ahead in Final Three Minutes and Defeats Royals, 6-3 - Reading Royals
- Kivlenieks Backstops K-Wings to 2-1 Victory on Green Ice - Kalamazoo Wings
- Monarchs Rack up Seven Goals on Railers in 7-4 Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Beast Can't Solve Fucale, Drop Third Straight - Brampton Beast
- ECHL Transactions - March 17 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Steelheads - Orlando Solar Bears
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Things Turning Green for St. Patrick's Day - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day at Adirondack: Catch Today's Game on BCTV at 2:45 p.m. - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 5-2 Military Night Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 5-2 on Military Night - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Newfoundland Growlers Stories
- Round Two Schedule Announced, Growlers Face-Off against Monarchs
- Growlers Tame the Beast, Advance to Second Round
- Beast Force Game Six at Mile One Centre
- Beast Force Game 5 as the Growlers Lose 4-1
- O'Brien Scores in Double Overtime, Growlers Lead Series 3-0