Americans Win OT Thriller
Allen, Texas - The Allen Americans, ECHL affiliate of the Minnesota Wild, beat the Wichita Thunder in overtime 6-5 at Allen Event Center.
Josh Atkinson scored his second of the game in overtime to lift the Americans to a 6-5 victory over the Wichita Thunder. Atkinson came in on a two-on-one break and fired one past Stuart Skinner for his fifth of the season at the 1:28 mark of the extra session.
"We were frustrated after blowing the two-goal lead," said Americans defenseman Josh Atkinson. "Penalties hurt us late in the third period, but we were able to get one in OT and send our fans home happy."
Zach Pochiro and Adam Miller each had a goal and two assists. With Pochiro's goal on Sunday, he regained the ECHL lead with 34. Gary Steffes scored his third of the season and assisted on Jacob Doty's fifth of the year.
The game was even on four different occasions. Quentin Shore tied the score in the final minute of regulation putting a rebound past Lukas Hafner to send the game to overtime, before Josh Atkinson would send the big crowd of 4, 389 home happy.
The Americans went 2 for 5 on the power play while Wichita was 2 for 4. Lukas Hafner won his second game of the season with Allen stopping 34 of 39 shots.
The Americans return to action next weekend at home. Tickets on sale at Allen Event Center Box Office or call 972-912-1000.
1. ALN - J. Atkinson
2. ALN - A. Miller
3. WIC - Q. Shore
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 17, 2019
- Solar Bears Fall to Steelheads 4-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Win OT Thriller - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Clinch 22nd-Straight Postseason Appearance with 4-1 Win over Orlando - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Closes Road Trip with OT Loss in Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Stingrays Withstand Everblades' Comeback to Win Series Finale - Florida Everblades
- 6 Different Scorers Give Stingrays Win over Florida - South Carolina Stingrays
- Swamp Rabbits' Offense Quieted by IceMen - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Battle Back But Come up Short in 7-4 Home Loss to Monarchs - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Fall in Eighteen Round Shootout - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mariners Top Growlers in Epic Eighteen Round Shootout - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Use Four Third-Period Goals to Crown Royals 6-3 - Adirondack Thunder
- Atlanta Improves Point Streak to Five Games with 2-1 Home Win over the Admirals - Atlanta Gladiators
- Adirondack Goes Ahead in Final Three Minutes and Defeats Royals, 6-3 - Reading Royals
- Kivlenieks Backstops K-Wings to 2-1 Victory on Green Ice - Kalamazoo Wings
- Monarchs Rack up Seven Goals on Railers in 7-4 Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Beast Can't Solve Fucale, Drop Third Straight - Brampton Beast
- ECHL Transactions - March 17 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Steelheads - Orlando Solar Bears
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Things Turning Green for St. Patrick's Day - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day at Adirondack: Catch Today's Game on BCTV at 2:45 p.m. - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 5-2 Military Night Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 5-2 on Military Night - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.