Kivlenieks Backstops K-Wings to 2-1 Victory on Green Ice
Kalamazoo, MI - The K-Wings scored a pair of goals in the first and Matiss Kivlenieks did the rest as the K-Wings topped the Walleye 2-1 on green ice Sunday afternoon at Wings Event Center.
Matiss Kivlenieks made 33 saves on 34 shots claiming his fourth victory of the season. The K-Wing power play got back on the board one night after being held scoreless on Saturday night.
Kalamazoo scored the first two goals of the night, taking a 2-0 lead in the opening frame before the Walleye got on the board. Chris Collins got the scoring started just over eight minutes into the first off a great feed from Michael Neal. Neal slammed on the brakes at the right dot before sending a pass through the high slot right onto the tape of Collins for a redirection into the top corner. Four minutes later the K-Wings power play got on the board one night after silenced in Cincinnati. Zach Saar found a rebound in front of the net and chopped it past Fulcher, sending it over his glove to give Kalamazoo the 2-0 lead. Later in the period the Walleye power play answered back. Dylan Sadowy found a puck in front and knocked it past Kivlenieks to get the Walleye on the board.
The first period goals would be the only ones scored on green ice at Wings Event Center as the 2-1 lead would hold up until the end as Matiss Kivlenieks and Kaden Fulcher combined for 61 saves throughout the game. Kivlenieks stopped 33 of 34 shots, claiming his fourth victory of the season, and second over the Walleye. Fulcher stopped 28 of 30 K-Wings shots in the defeat. The K-Wings power play finished the night one-for-four on the man-advantage, while the Walleye finished one-for-three.
Kalamazoo (32-27-2-2) remains in fourth place in the Central Division, trailing the Fort Wayne Komets by four points.
The K-Wings are back in action on Wednesday evening taking on the Fort Wayne Komets. Puck drop set for 7:35pm.
Kalamazoo Wings full season tickets are available now for the 2019-20 season! More information can be gathered at www.kwings.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 17, 2019
- Solar Bears Fall to Steelheads 4-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Win OT Thriller - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Clinch 22nd-Straight Postseason Appearance with 4-1 Win over Orlando - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Closes Road Trip with OT Loss in Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Stingrays Withstand Everblades' Comeback to Win Series Finale - Florida Everblades
- 6 Different Scorers Give Stingrays Win over Florida - South Carolina Stingrays
- Swamp Rabbits' Offense Quieted by IceMen - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Battle Back But Come up Short in 7-4 Home Loss to Monarchs - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Fall in Eighteen Round Shootout - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mariners Top Growlers in Epic Eighteen Round Shootout - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Use Four Third-Period Goals to Crown Royals 6-3 - Adirondack Thunder
- Atlanta Improves Point Streak to Five Games with 2-1 Home Win over the Admirals - Atlanta Gladiators
- Adirondack Goes Ahead in Final Three Minutes and Defeats Royals, 6-3 - Reading Royals
- Kivlenieks Backstops K-Wings to 2-1 Victory on Green Ice - Kalamazoo Wings
- Monarchs Rack up Seven Goals on Railers in 7-4 Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Beast Can't Solve Fucale, Drop Third Straight - Brampton Beast
- ECHL Transactions - March 17 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Steelheads - Orlando Solar Bears
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Things Turning Green for St. Patrick's Day - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day at Adirondack: Catch Today's Game on BCTV at 2:45 p.m. - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 5-2 Military Night Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 5-2 on Military Night - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.