Steelheads Clinch 22nd-Straight Postseason Appearance with 4-1 Win over Orlando
MAITLAND, Fla. - The Idaho Steelheads (36-22-5) rode strong on special teams to take a 4-1 win over the Orlando Solar Bears (34-22-5) on Sunday evening from RDV Sportsplex Ice Den. With the win, the Steelheads have clinched a spot in the 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs and continue their streak of postseason appearances to 22-straight seasons without missing a postseason in franchise history.
The Steelheads opened up with the first two goals of the evening starting at 4:33 of the first period when forward Henrik Samuelsson tapped in a cross-ice pass from the left wall into an open goal mouth to take the 1-0 lead. On their first penalty kill, the Steelheads converted thanks to a turnover caused by forward A.J. White to find forward Will Merchant open in front of the net at 10:38, doubling the lead to 2-0. The Solar Bears answered at 13:34 with a goal from defenseman Cody Donaghey to cut the lead in half, 2-1.
For the first time this season, the Steelheads scored their second shorthanded goal in a game, but it came in the second period. At 5:21, forward Elgin Pearce led into the offensive end and sniped a shot from the high slot to double the lead again at 3-1. Special teams control continued for the Steelheads at 16:28 when defenseman Charlie Dodero found forward Steve McParland off the left post for a one-time touch into the net to spread the lead to 4-1.
With no scoring in the third period, the Steelheads cruised their way to a 4-1 win and force a rubber match on Tuesday. Steelheads goaltender Tomas Sholl (22-11-0) turned aside 36 of 37 shots in the win, while Solar Bears netminder Connor Ingram (3-2-0) stopped 20 of 24 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads and Solar Bears finish their three-game stretch on Tuesday, Mar. 19 at 5:00 p.m. MT from Amway Center. Coverage begins at 6:45 p.m. MT on 1350 AM KTIK and ECHL.TV.
The Steelheads return to CenturyLink Arena on Wednesday, Mar. 27 at 7:10 p.m. against the Rapid City Rush. Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 17, 2019
- Solar Bears Fall to Steelheads 4-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Win OT Thriller - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Clinch 22nd-Straight Postseason Appearance with 4-1 Win over Orlando - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Closes Road Trip with OT Loss in Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Stingrays Withstand Everblades' Comeback to Win Series Finale - Florida Everblades
- 6 Different Scorers Give Stingrays Win over Florida - South Carolina Stingrays
- Swamp Rabbits' Offense Quieted by IceMen - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Battle Back But Come up Short in 7-4 Home Loss to Monarchs - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Fall in Eighteen Round Shootout - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mariners Top Growlers in Epic Eighteen Round Shootout - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Use Four Third-Period Goals to Crown Royals 6-3 - Adirondack Thunder
- Atlanta Improves Point Streak to Five Games with 2-1 Home Win over the Admirals - Atlanta Gladiators
- Adirondack Goes Ahead in Final Three Minutes and Defeats Royals, 6-3 - Reading Royals
- Kivlenieks Backstops K-Wings to 2-1 Victory on Green Ice - Kalamazoo Wings
- Monarchs Rack up Seven Goals on Railers in 7-4 Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Beast Can't Solve Fucale, Drop Third Straight - Brampton Beast
- ECHL Transactions - March 17 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Steelheads - Orlando Solar Bears
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Things Turning Green for St. Patrick's Day - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day at Adirondack: Catch Today's Game on BCTV at 2:45 p.m. - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 5-2 Military Night Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 5-2 on Military Night - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Steelheads Weekly - April 22, 2019
- Steelheads Clinch Series with 2-1 Overtime Win over Grizzlies
- Steelheads Erase Three-Goal Deficit, Complete Comeback in 5-4 Overtime Win in Game 4
- Steelheads Battle to 3-2 Overtime Win over Utah, Take Series Lead
- Steelheads to Host Free Watch Parties for Games in Utah at SportZone