Grizzlies Maul K-Wings in Shutout
SALT LAKE CITY, UT--The Kalamazoo Wings (10-6-0-0) were shut out by the Utah Grizzlies (11-7-1-0) in a 4-0 loss at Maverik Center on Monday night.
The Grizzlies opened the scoring 9:13 into the first period when Utah defender Charle-Edouard D'Astous took a slapper from the blue line. Utah outshot Kalamazoo 18 to 9 in the first period.
It would be all Grizzlies in the second. A great pass left Luka Burzan open. Burzan found the back of the net on a one-timer to make it 2-0 Grizzlies. The K-Wings were not without opportunities in the second, unable to take advantage of a minute and a half long 5-on-3 situation. Brenden Miller was called for slashing with just under three minutes remaining in the period. The Grizzlies found their third goal the ensuing power play on a nifty backhand from Utah forward Trey Bradley.
In the third, Burzan found his second goal of the night, scoring on a 4-on-4 opportunity to make 4-0 Utah. Burzan scored off of a faceoff, and Gorsuch never saw the puck. Things got chippy in the final ten minutes as multiple fights concluded the game.
Gorsuch stopped 36 of the 40 shots he faced in the loss.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 7, 2021
- Lightning Reassign Hugo Alnefelt to Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Former Growler Kristiāns Rubīns Makes NHL Debut with Maple Leafs - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - December 7 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Suspension - ECHL
- PHPA, ECHL Ratify Extension of Collective Bargaining Agreement - ECHL
- Peter Abbandonato Named Player of the Week in the ECHL - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Trois-Rivières' Abbandonato Named Inglasco/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Teddy Bear Toss, Military Night Kicks off Steelheads Holiday Homestand - Idaho Steelheads
- Mareks Mitens Named Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Adirondack Thunder
- Adirondack's Mitens Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Burzan Scored 4 Points in Grizz 4-0 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Maul K-Wings in Shutout - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.