Grizzlies Acquire Joey Ratelle to Complete Trade with Colorado
West Valley City, Utah - The Utah Grizzlies have acquired forward Joey Ratelle from the Colorado Eagles to complete future considerations on the February 14 trade that also brought Jake Marchment and Gage Ausmus to Utah.
Ratelle, in his rookie season, was the Eagles leading scorer against Utah with seven goals and four assists for 11 points in 13 games. During the regular season, he was third on Colorado in goals with 23 and had 47 points in 70 games. He was a member of the Colorado team that on Saturday won the ECHL's Kelly Cup Championship as he had five goals and three assists for eight points in 19 playoff games.
"For a rookie to come in on a team that was just stacked and be able to contribute the way that he did on both ends of the ice; he's very responsible defensively, he's tough, he finishes checks and then to be able to put that many pucks in the net, he's just a complete hockey player," said Head Coach/General Manager Tim Branham.
The 22-year-old was tied for fourth in the ECHL with six game-winning goals and scored Colorado's game-winning goal in two of their last three wins against Utah this season. He recorded his first professional hat trick against Utah on March 23.
At 5-foot-10 and 180 pounds, the Quebec native fought 16 times during the regular season, which was tied for seventh in the ECHL and ranked third among rookies and he also led rookies with 200 penalty minutes.
"He had a great rookie campaign," said Branham. "He's definitely one tough customer, especially for his size. He'll take on anybody in the league and he scored a lot of big goals for Colorado. I'm really excited to see what his second year has in store."
The Grizzlies finished the season 11-6-3-2 after the February 14 trade as Jake Marchment had 10 goals and nine assists over the final 22 games with Utah and Ausmus, a defenseman, had eight assists and a plus-four.
The Grizzlies open the regular season on Friday, October 12 against Rapid City at Maverik Center.
Season tickets for the 2018-2019 season are on sale now and include: free parking, free buddy passes, first round of the playoffs for free, unused ticket exchange, a personalized season ticket holder gift and more. Visit utahgrizzlies.com or call (801) 988-8000 for more information.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from June 13, 2018
- Grizzlies Acquire Joey Ratelle to Complete Trade with Colorado - Utah Grizzlies
- Komets Deal McKernan to South Carolina - Fort Wayne Komets
- Fuel Acquire Forward Kevin Dufour from Wichita - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Completes Futures Trades; Acquires Leavens from Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Stingrays Complete Trades with Fort Wayne, Orlando - South Carolina Stingrays
- Solar Bears Announce Completion of Several 2017-18 Trades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Rush Complete Final Trade - Rapid City Rush
- Wings Acquire Ryan Penny to Complete Futures Deal with Reading - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Finalize Four Future Considerations Trades - Reading Royals
- Steelheads Complete Trade with Swamp Rabbits - Idaho Steelheads
- Gladiators Complete Troock Trade with Greenville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Complete Futures Deal with Greenville - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Acquire Will Merchant and Phil Lane - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Name Doug Christiansen Head Coach - Manchester Monarchs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.