Stingrays Complete Trades with Fort Wayne, Orlando
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. - The South Carolina Stingrays, proud ECHL affiliate of the NHL's Washington Capitals and AHL's Hershey Bears, have acquired the rights to defenseman Kevin McKernan from the Fort Wayne Komets to complete a Sept. 18 trade as well as forward Tim Harrison from the Orlando Solar Bears to complete a trade initially agreed to on March 8.
McKernan joined Fort Wayne in March after completing his senior season at Quinnipiac University and suited up for nine regular season games as well as eight playoff contests in the Komets' run to the Western Conference Finals. The blueliner had one assist in the postseason along with four penalty minutes and a +1 rating.
While attending Quinnipiac, the 5-foot-11, 192-pound defender played in 138 games over four seasons and scored 36 points (12 goals, 24 assists). McKernan was also part of the Bobcats' Frozen Four appearance and run to the National Championship game in 2016. The Millbury, Mass. native also had a six-year junior career with the Boston Junior Bruins and helped lead the squad to the 2013-14 USPHL Championship as an assistant captain while ranking second among team defensemen with 25 points in 46 games.
Harrison played with the Adirondack Thunder during the 2017-18 season and had his rights sent to Orlando on Tuesday to complete a separate deal between the Thunder and Solar Bears. The 24-year-old suited up for 63 regular season contests with Adirondack and posted a total of 16 points (eight goals, eight assists) before seeing the ice in 11 playoff games during the team's run to the Eastern Conference Finals, adding four points on two goals and two assists.
A former sixth round pick of the NHL's Calgary Flames in the 2013 NHL Draft, Harrison spent four seasons at Colgate University in the ECAC and compiled 54 points in 143 games on 26 goals and 28 assists. The 6-foot-3, 193-pound forward is a native of Duxbury, Mass. and played two seasons at the Dexter School before attending Colgate.
The 26th season of South Carolina Stingrays hockey begins in Jacksonville against the Icemen on October 13. The Stingrays will open their home schedule vs. Greenville on Saturday, October 20.
Season tickets are on sale now! For more information or to purchase, contact the Stingrays by phone at 843-744-2248 or visit 3300 W. Montague Ave. Suite A-200 during business hours.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from June 13, 2018
- Grizzlies Acquire Joey Ratelle to Complete Trade with Colorado - Utah Grizzlies
- Komets Deal McKernan to South Carolina - Fort Wayne Komets
- Fuel Acquire Forward Kevin Dufour from Wichita - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Completes Futures Trades; Acquires Leavens from Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Stingrays Complete Trades with Fort Wayne, Orlando - South Carolina Stingrays
- Solar Bears Announce Completion of Several 2017-18 Trades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Rush Complete Final Trade - Rapid City Rush
- Wings Acquire Ryan Penny to Complete Futures Deal with Reading - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Finalize Four Future Considerations Trades - Reading Royals
- Steelheads Complete Trade with Swamp Rabbits - Idaho Steelheads
- Gladiators Complete Troock Trade with Greenville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Complete Futures Deal with Greenville - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Acquire Will Merchant and Phil Lane - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Name Doug Christiansen Head Coach - Manchester Monarchs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.