Gladiators Complete Troock Trade with Greenville
DULUTH, Ga. - The Atlanta Gladiators announced Wednesday that the team has traded the negotiating rights of forward Phil Lane to the Greenville Swamp Rabbits to complete the March 5th deal that brought Branden Troock to the team.
"It's tough to give up the rights to try and re-sign a player like Phil Lane, but he will become a free agent at some point and the chance of losing him for nothing was something we didn't want to risk," said Team President Scott Henrichsen. "We knew Lane was going to be a veteran at the end of the season not allowing us to protect him and we now have a valuable asset in Troock moving forward that also played a huge roll in our return to the playoffs."
Troock, 24, scored 10 points (1g, 9a) in 10 games for the Gladiators after the forward notched 37 points (16g-21a) in 35 games for Greenville during the 2017-18 campaign. The Edmonton, AB native has been protected by the team and is expected to receive a qualifying offer ensuring that if he plays in the ECHL for the 2018-19 season it will be in Atlanta.
Lane, 26, earned 57 points in 62 games for the Gladiators last season. The Rochester, NY native skated in his 260th professional game last year giving him veteran status. The forward will become a restricted free agent on August 1st and if not signed by August 31st, an unrestricted free agent. The Swamp Rabbits now have exclusive negotiating rights in the meantime.
The 16th season of Atlanta Gladiators hockey begins at the Infinite Energy Arena on Friday, October 19th against the Greenville Swamp Rabbits at 7:35 PM. For ticket information, visit the official team website at www.atlantagladiators.com or call the main office line at 770-497-5100.
The Gladiators are members of the ECHL, the nation's premier "AA" hockey league. All home games are played at the 10,867-seat Infinite Energy Arena, located just off I-85 on Sugarloaf Parkway in Duluth - where parking is always free. The Gladiators have established an unrivaled commitment to excellence, maintaining a distinctive reputation for affordable and family-friendly sports entertainment and consistently ranked as one of the top "Things To Do" in the Atlanta area and across the North Georgia region.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from June 13, 2018
- Grizzlies Acquire Joey Ratelle to Complete Trade with Colorado - Utah Grizzlies
- Komets Deal McKernan to South Carolina - Fort Wayne Komets
- Fuel Acquire Forward Kevin Dufour from Wichita - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Completes Futures Trades; Acquires Leavens from Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Stingrays Complete Trades with Fort Wayne, Orlando - South Carolina Stingrays
- Solar Bears Announce Completion of Several 2017-18 Trades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Rush Complete Final Trade - Rapid City Rush
- Wings Acquire Ryan Penny to Complete Futures Deal with Reading - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Finalize Four Future Considerations Trades - Reading Royals
- Steelheads Complete Trade with Swamp Rabbits - Idaho Steelheads
- Gladiators Complete Troock Trade with Greenville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Complete Futures Deal with Greenville - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Acquire Will Merchant and Phil Lane - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Name Doug Christiansen Head Coach - Manchester Monarchs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta Gladiators Stories
- Atlanta Signs Two College Players
- Atlanta Improves Point Streak to Five Games with 2-1 Home Win over the Admirals
- Atlanta Earns Huge Point as They Fall to Everblades in Shootout
- Atlanta Erases Three Goal Deficit and Takes Win in Epic 11-Round Shootout
- Former NHLer Jared Ross Re-Signs with Atlanta