Wings Acquire Ryan Penny to Complete Futures Deal with Reading
KALAMAZOO, MI - The Kalamazoo Wings have acquired forward Ryan Penny from the Reading Royals, fulfilling the future considerations of a trade that sent Charlie Vasaturo to the Royals in March.
Penny, 23, scored 16 goals and added 16 assists in 53 games with Reading last year, while earning one assist in 11 games played with the Binghamton Devils of the American Hockey League.
His breakout campaign came in 2016-17, when he tallied 25 goals and totaled 26 assists for 51 points in 72 games with Reading.
"He doesn't take shifts off," K-Wings head coach Nick Bootland said. "He plays a 200-foot game and is responsible in all areas of the ice. He's proven that he can produce points in this league."
The forward turned pro in 2015 after signing an AHL deal with the Binghamton Senators and has since earned career totals of 53 goals and 59 assists (112 points) in 193 games between the AHL and ECHL.
Prior to his professional debut, the native of Fall River, Nova Scotia, spent five seasons in the QMJHL with Moncton and Rouyn-Noranda. While in the junior ranks, he produced 78 goals and 76 assists in 305 games and was a two-time captain. He also represented Canada Atlantic at the 2010 World U-17 Hockey Challenge.
Kalamazoo Wings season tickets are available now and start at less than $13 per game with parking included and one-of-a-kind benefits. More information can be gathered at www.kwings.com/seasontickets.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from June 13, 2018
- Grizzlies Acquire Joey Ratelle to Complete Trade with Colorado - Utah Grizzlies
- Komets Deal McKernan to South Carolina - Fort Wayne Komets
- Fuel Acquire Forward Kevin Dufour from Wichita - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Completes Futures Trades; Acquires Leavens from Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Stingrays Complete Trades with Fort Wayne, Orlando - South Carolina Stingrays
- Solar Bears Announce Completion of Several 2017-18 Trades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Rush Complete Final Trade - Rapid City Rush
- Wings Acquire Ryan Penny to Complete Futures Deal with Reading - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Finalize Four Future Considerations Trades - Reading Royals
- Steelheads Complete Trade with Swamp Rabbits - Idaho Steelheads
- Gladiators Complete Troock Trade with Greenville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Complete Futures Deal with Greenville - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Acquire Will Merchant and Phil Lane - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Name Doug Christiansen Head Coach - Manchester Monarchs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kalamazoo Wings Stories
- Wings Weekly: Home Finale Coming up on Saturday Night
- Kivlenieks Backstops K-Wings to 2-1 Victory on Green Ice
- Game Day: Things Turning Green for St. Patrick's Day
- Houser, Cyclones Blank K-Wings 3-0
- Game Day: K-Wings and Cyclones Square off for Final Time this Season