Monarchs Name Doug Christiansen Head Coach
MANCHESTER, N.H. - The Manchester Monarchs, ECHL affiliate of the National Hockey League's Los Angeles Kings, announced today that Doug Christiansen will join the Monarchs as Head Coach and General Manager for the 2018-19 season.
"We are extremely excited to welcome someone with Doug's experience and accomplishments to the Monarchs. Doug is familiar with our system and played for our team, and we're looking forward to continuing the winning tradition we've become accustomed to here in Manchester," remarked Brian Cheek, CEO of the Manchester Monarchs.
"Having Rich as the Head Coach and GM of the Monarchs for the past three seasons has been great, and his success has led to an exciting new opportunity. And we are thrilled that we will still be working with him in Ontario, which can only help make the Monarchs even stronger" Cheek Continued.
Christiansen, native of Milwaukee, Wis., joins the Monarchs after spending the past four years as the Director of Player Development & Recruitment for the USHL. Before joining the USHL, Christiansen spent seven seasons as a Head Coach and Director of Hockey Operations for three separate teams in the Elite Ice Hockey League in the United Kingdom, being named EIHL Coach of the Year twice. Christiansen helped lead the Belfast Giants to a league championship in 2012 and a conference championship in 2013. In 2013-14, Christiansen served as the Head Coach of the Great Britain National Team.
"Manchester is an organization with a proud tradition of success. I am excited to join the Manchester community and look forward to building a championship caliber team," Christiansen stated.
During his playing career, Christiansen played professional hockey from 2002 to 2007, playing in the AHL, ECHL and UHL. Through the five years, he played 104 games in the Los Angeles Kings system, including 99 with the Reading Royals of the ECHL and five with the Monarchs (AHL). Christiansen played collegiate hockey at Union College from 1998 to 2002, where he totaled 102 games and scored 28 points (16g, 12a), while racking up 134 penalty minutes.
Christiansen and the Monarchs open their season in Brampton, Ontario on Oct. 13, when they play the Brampton Beast. Season Memberships are on sale now through the Monarchs front office by calling 603-626-7825.
Images from this story
Manchester Monarchs Head Coach Doug Christiansen
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from June 13, 2018
- Grizzlies Acquire Joey Ratelle to Complete Trade with Colorado - Utah Grizzlies
- Komets Deal McKernan to South Carolina - Fort Wayne Komets
- Fuel Acquire Forward Kevin Dufour from Wichita - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Completes Futures Trades; Acquires Leavens from Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Stingrays Complete Trades with Fort Wayne, Orlando - South Carolina Stingrays
- Solar Bears Announce Completion of Several 2017-18 Trades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Rush Complete Final Trade - Rapid City Rush
- Wings Acquire Ryan Penny to Complete Futures Deal with Reading - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Finalize Four Future Considerations Trades - Reading Royals
- Steelheads Complete Trade with Swamp Rabbits - Idaho Steelheads
- Gladiators Complete Troock Trade with Greenville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Complete Futures Deal with Greenville - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Acquire Will Merchant and Phil Lane - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Name Doug Christiansen Head Coach - Manchester Monarchs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.