Gorillas Comeback Thwarted
Amarillo, TX 12/7/09 - The Amarillo Gorillas pulled within one goal in the third period, but could not tie the game in the waning minutes, dropping 4-3 to the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs Monday night.
After a 45-minute delay due to low ice, the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs struck first. On their first power-play opportunity, forward Shawn Limpright tossed a shot on net, where it deflected off a Gorillas defender midway through the period. Amarillo could not convert on three man-advantage chances, including a short, 5-3 power-play. Score after one, Bossier-Shreveport 1 Amarillo 0.
The scoring exploded in the second period, with Amarillo's Jason Beeman beginning the madness with a far circle drive past Mudbug goaltender John DeCaro. 20 seconds later, Mudbug captain Brett Smith slipped his shot past Gorillas netminder Mike Brown to put Bossier-Shreveport back on top 2-1. In only his second home game since returning from the 30-day injured reserve, forward David Nimmo deflected a Gorillas shot home for his second goal in as many games. Bossier found way with less than three minutes remaining though, as forward Tyler Liebel notched his fourth goal of the season. At the end of two periods, Bossier-Shreveport 3 Amarillo 2.
After the Mudbugs scored with less than five minutes remaining, Amarillo answered two minutes later. Beeman deflected a Shaun Arvai shot past Decaro to bring the game to a one-goal margin. With a power-play opportunity and an empty net, the Gorillas could not find the back of the Mudbugs' goal. Final score Bossier-Shreveport 4 Amarillo 3.
Jason Beeman's two goals were only his second & third home points on the season (his last came in his CHL debut 11/6 vs. Texas 1-0-1)...with a goal & an assist, David Nimmo extended his point streak to 5 games...Gorillas power-play unit converted once, their first home power-play goal since 11/21 vs. Arizona.
The Gorillas continue their longest home stand of the season Friday night, December 11th versus the Colorado Eagles. The first 250 fans through the gates will receive a free mini goalie stick! Come early (doors open at 6pm) and enjoy the show. Call 806.242.PUCK.
The AMARILLO GORILLAS are offering multiple promotional deals during the month of December. Log on to amarillogorillas.com or call our office at (806) 242-PUCK (7825) for more.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2009
- Mudbugs Hang On Against Gorillas In Amarillo - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Gorillas Comeback Thwarted - Amarillo Gorillas
- Nastiuk Named Oakley CHL Goaltender Of The Week - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Shots From The Point - CHL
- Allen In Second Place In CHL - Allen Americans
- Bucks Host Rival Rays Tuesday - Laredo Bucks
- Mavericks Weekly: Teddy Bear Toss Tuesday - Kansas City Mavericks
- RiverKings Happenings - Mississippi RiverKings
- Dumont Named CHL Player Of The Week - Mississippi RiverKings
- Mississippi's Louis Dumont and Corpus Christi's Kevin Nastiuk Win Weekly Awards - CHL
- Week Of Firsts - Tulsa Oilers
- Mudbugs Weekly - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks, Doctors Hospital Collect 157 Toys - Laredo Bucks
- Colorado Eagles Week In Review - Colorado Eagles
- RiverKings Ready For Back-To-Back Mudbugs - Mississippi RiverKings
- Gorillas & The U.S. Marine Corps Team Up, Game Tonight - Amarillo Gorillas
- Sundogs Notes - Arizona Sundogs
- Jacks Launch Second Annual "Holiday Tour" - Odessa Jackalopes
- Wichita Finishes Weekend in Shootout - Wichita Thunder
- Hockey Happy Hour At Indigo Joes Tonight At 6:30pm - Tulsa Oilers
- Odessa Faces Big Road Test This Weekend - Odessa Jackalopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.