Gonzalo Higuaín Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 5
Inter Miami CF forward Gonzalo Higuaín has been voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Week for Week 5 of the 2021 MLS season.
Higuaín scored a pair of goals, the first two-goal game of his MLS career, leading Inter Miami to a 3-2 win against FC Cincinnati in the grand opening of TQL Stadium in Cincinnati on Sunday afternoon.
With the honor, Higuaín becomes the first player in Inter Miami CF club history to be named MLS Player of the Week.
On Sunday, with the score 1-0 in the 38th minute, Gonzalo Higuaín collected a nifty sideheel pass from brother Federico just outside the area, before eluding a pair of defenders and rolling home a shot just inside the right post. It marked the second time the Higuaín brothers had combined on a goal, one of seven sets of brothers in MLS history to combine on a goal, and one of just two brother duos to have done it twice (along with the Charás in Portland).
Then in the 85th minute, Higuaín led a quick break up the center of the park before continuing on into the goalmouth where he powered home a low cross from Lewis Morgan from close range for the dramatic game-winning goal.
Inter Miami CF are back in action on Saturday evening when they take on Chicago Fire FC at Soldier Field in Chicago at 6 p.m. ET (UniMás / TUDN).
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 17, 2021
- Joint Statement from the Columbus Crew and Its Supporters Group, the Nordecke - Columbus Crew SC
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: May 17, 2021 - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update - FC Cincinnati
- Letter to Fans Ahead of May 23 Match vs. Austin FC - Nashville SC
- Gonzalo Higuaín Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 5 - Inter Miami CF
- EstrellaTV KMPX-29 Updates FC Dallas Spanish-Language Broadcast Schedule - FC Dallas
- Timbers Award $50,000 in Community Fund Grants - Portland Timbers
- Inter Miami CF Forward Gonzalo Higuaín Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 5 - MLS
- Ticket Sales Timeline Announced for USA-Costa Rica, Presented by Allstate, on June 9 in Sandy, Utah - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy Weekly - LA Galaxy
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- With 2 Assists vs. Houston, Michael Barrios Earns Spot in MLS Team of the Week - Colorado Rapids
- Gonzalo Higuaín Named to MLS Team of the Week - Inter Miami CF
- Acosta, Evans Earn USL League One Week 6 Honors - Inter Miami CF
- Exploria Stadium to Open to Full Capacity Starting with Club's June Matches - Orlando City SC
- Local Sports Stars, Including Robert Berić, "Join the TeamÃ¢ÂÂ to Encourage Vaccination - Chicago Fire FC
- Everyone Back N for Nashville SC vs. Austin FC at Nissan Stadium on May 23 - Nashville SC
- With Third Win in a Week, Sounders FC Matches Club Record for Best Start to a Season Following 2-0 Triumph over LAFC - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Falls 2-0 to Sounders FC in Seattle - Los Angeles FC
- D.C. United Lose 1-0 to Orlando City SC at Audi Field - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inter Miami CF Stories
- Josh Penn Joins Charleston Battery on LoanÃÂ
- Inter Miami Match at New York Red Bulls Rescheduled to Saturday, October 9
- Inter Miami CF Signs Defender Ventura Alvarado
- Inter Miami CF to Host CF Montréal on Saturday
- Inter Miami CF Earns 1-1 Draw with Philadelphia Union