Giants Fall 5-4 in a Back-And-Forth Game in Prince George
Vancouver Giants right wing Justin Lies with the puck against the Prince George Cougars
(Vancouver Giants, Credit: Brett Cullen)
Prince George, B.C. - Friday night in Prince George, the Vancouver Giants (32-24-3-2) dropped a 5-4 decision to the Prince George Cougars (19-34-4-4). Josh Maser scored three times for Prince George while Tyler Preziuso responded with two goals for Vancouver. The G-Men badly outshot the Cougars by a 42-20 margin, and each team scored twice on the power play.
PG - At the 1:30 mark, the Cougars opened the scoring off a two-on-one rush. Jonny Hooker (14) finished off an Ilijah Colina pass to put Prince George up 1-0.
VAN - Back came the Giants at 15:56. Michal Kvasnica pounced on a Holden Katzalay rebound and tucked home his ninth goal of the season to tie the game 1-1.
Shots: 18-3 Vancouver
VAN - Bowen Byram (12) put the Giants ahead 2-1 with a shot from the left-wing circle on the power play. Tristen Nielsen and Milos Roman both assisted.
PG - Josh Maser (26) answered with a power play marker for Prince George off a Cole Moberg rebound.
VAN - Tyler Preziuso responded one minute and 18 seconds later with his 25th, lifting the Giants to a 3-2 lead. Preziuso stole the puck from a Cougars defenceman and roofed a shot home from in close.
PG - Majid Kaddoura moved the Cougars back even off the rush at 18:11. His backhand shot appeared to deflect off a body in front of the Giants goal and in. Kaddoura's fifth goal was set up by Taylor Gauthier.
Shots: 13-11 Vancouver
PG - Josh Maser (27) put Prince George ahead 4-3 56 seconds into the final period when he knocked home a Jack Sander rebound.
VAN - Tyler Preziuso (26) responded with a power play goal at 13:53 for the Giants to push the score to 4-4. Preziuso's second of the game was assisted by Bowen Byram and Eric Florchuk.
PG - 49 seconds later the Cougars nabbed the game's final goal. Josh Maser (28) completed his hat-trick at 14:42 off a Cole Moberg rebound. Maser's goal came on a power play.
Shots: 11-6 Vancouver
Final Score: Prince George 5 - Vancouver 4
Final Shots: 42-20 Vancouver
Trent Miner: 15/20 saves for Vancouver (14-11-2-1)
Taylor Gauthier: 38/42 saves for Prince George (15-26-3-4)
Vancouver Power Play: 2/4
Prince George Power Play: 2/3
Next Game: The Giants and Cougars will meet again tomorrow night at 7:00 PM in Prince George.
The Vancouver Giants are now 4-2-1-0 this season against Prince George and are 2-1 against them on the road.
Friday marked the 11th time since the trade deadline that the Giants have scored more two-or-more power play goals in a game.
Thanks to his two-goal game, Tyler Preziuso has now set a new career high for points in a season with 51.
Bowen Byram has now recorded 10 multi-point games since February 4th.
The Vancouver Giants remain tied with Victoria in the B.C. Division standings with 69 points. Each team has seven games remaining.
Images from this story
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from March 7, 2020
- Williams Scores against Former Team, Cossa Makes 44 Saves in Loss to Tigers - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Alexander Wins First Career Game; ICE Beat Warriors 7-1 - Winnipeg Ice
- Watts Strikes Twice In Win Over Wheat Kings - Prince Albert Raiders
- Weekend Ends with Loss in Winnipeg - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Pats Earn OT Point - Regina Pats
- WHL Recognizes Dean Vrooman with Distinguished Service Award - Portland Winterhawks
- Winterhawks' Vrooman Receives WHL Distinguished Service Award - WHL
- Game Preview: Playoff-Clinched Blades Head to Regina - Saskatoon Blades
- 2020 Oil Kings Playoff Pass on Sale Now - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Game Day Hub: March 7 - Portland Winterhawks
- ICE and Warriors Meet for Second Time in as Many Nights - Winnipeg Ice
- Game 62 vs Edmonton - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, March 7 vs. Spokane - Calgary Hitmen
- Wheat Kings Score Overtime Win in Prince Albert - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game Day Preview: Pats Host Rematch with Saskatoon Saturday Night at Brandt Centre - Regina Pats
- Rockets blank T-Birds, clinch playoff spot - Kelowna Rockets
- Silvertips Outdistance Tri-City in Second - Everett Silvertips
- Rebels Burned on Odd-Man Rushes, Fall 5-1 to Chiefs - Red Deer Rebels
- Giants Fall 5-4 in a Back-And-Forth Game in Prince George - Vancouver Giants
- Americans Shut out in Everett - Tri-City Americans
- Tigers Defeat Hitmen 6-1 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Broncos Drop Tight-Checking Game to Top-Ranked Oil Kings - Swift Current Broncos
- Oil Kings Defeat Broncos, 4-1, on Superhero Night at Rogers Place - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Rockets Shoot Down T-Birds - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Tigers Use Benefits of Home to Stop Hitmen - Calgary Hitmen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Giants Stories
- Full Giants Schedule Released
- Giants Select 2022 NHL Draft Prospect Jonathan Lekkerimaki in the 2022 CHL Import Draft
- Giants Select 2004-Born Forward Samuel Honzek in the 2022 CHL Import Draft
- Giants Acquire 2003-Born Goaltender Brett Mirwald from Moose Jaw
- Giants Unveil 2022-23 Home Schedule