Gerut's Return Sparks Beavers In Win Over 51s
LAS VEGAS, Nev. - Jody Gerut went 4-for-5 with two RBIs in his first game with the Portland Beavers since 2008 and Josh Geer turned in eight solid innings to earn his 10th win as the Beavers stopped a five-game losing streak with a 4-2 win over the Las Vegas 51s Saturday night at Cashman Field.
Gerut, who was signed by San Diego on Thursday after being released by Milwaukee on Aug. 13, hit RBI singles in the first and third innings then added hits in the fifth and seventh. The 32-year-old had a chance at five hits in the ninth but grounded out to end the inning.
Josh Geer (10-10) struck out a season-high seven batters while allowing two runs on six hits and a walk to become the fifth pitcher in Beavers (49-79) team history (since 2001) to win 10 games in one season.
Kyle Phillips and Dusty Ryan tallied three hits each and Mike Baxter was 2-for-4 and Sean Kazmar had two doubles and two runs as Portland pounded out 15 hits on the night.
Chris Lubanski and Brad Emaus both went 2-for-4 for the 51s (61-67), who have dropped four of their last five games at Cashman Field.
Robert Ray (6-6) was saddled with the loss after giving up three runs (2 earned) on 10 hits and three walks in five innings.
Three straight two-out singles by Baxter, Phillips and Gerut put Portland on top 1-0 in the first.
Kazmar led off the fifth with a double and scored on Phillips' RBI single to right.
Back-to-back doubles by Kazmar and Baxter in the sixth produced the Beavers' fourth run.
The 51s sliced the lead in half in the sixth as Raul Chavez walked and Mike McCoy doubled to set up a sacrifice fly by Jarrett Hoffpauir and an RBI double by Lubanski.
Adam Russell worked around a leadoff single in the ninth inning for his 10th save in 14 opportunities.
The Beavers and 51s continue their series Sunday night at 7:05 p.m. (Pacific).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 22, 2010
- Rainiers Top Reno in 10 Innings, 7-5 - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Cruise Past Zephyrs 7-4 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Z's Fall in Albuquerque - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Express Edged by Oklahoma City 4-2 - Round Rock Express
- Grizzlies Win Back and Forth Game, 10-7 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Two Hit-by-Pitches Help Memphis Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Angels Recall Walden - Salt Lake Bees
- Sounds Lose Second Straight to I-Cubs, 3-2 - Nashville Sounds
- Iowa Pick up Pair in Fifth for 3-2 Win - Iowa Cubs
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- De Jesus, Jr. Delivers In 6-5, 10-inning Topes Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Aces Take Series Opener Over Tacoma, 5-2 - Reno Aces
- Gerut's Return Sparks Beavers In Win Over 51s - Portland Beavers
- Sky Sox Blank Grizzlies, 2-0 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Z's fall in extras - New Orleans Baby Cakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss