Gennaro Paces Thunder Past Komets; Forces Game 5 on Monday
FORT WAYNE, IN - Matteo Gennaro scored twice in a four-minute span in the third period and Wichita held off a late rally from Fort Wayne for a 4-2 win on Saturday night at Memorial Coliseum.
The Thunder ties their first round series with the Komets at two and will play Monday night for a deciding Game 5.
Spencer Dorowicz gave the Thunder a 1-0 lead at 9:41 of the first. He tried to center a pass from the left corner, but it hit a skate and went past Dylan Ferguson for his second of the playoffs.
A.J. Jenks tied it at 11:35 with a power play tally. He tipped home a shot from the blue line for his third of the series.
After a scoreless second period, Gennaro broke the tie just 56 seconds into the third. He came into the zone up the right wing, cut the middle and fired a shot past Ferguson's glove to make it 2-1. At 4:35, he recorded his second of the game to make it 3-1. Cam Clarke came up the ice with him on an odd-man break, fed a pass across and Gennaro one-timed it past Ferguson for his third of the playoffs.
Justin Vaive cut the lead to one at 17:36 with his second of the series. Matthew Boudens took a shot from the right circle that popped up in the air. Clarke tried to swipe it to the corner with his hand, but missed the puck and Vaive put in the rebound to make it 3-2.
The Komets had a faceoff with 1:31 left and pulled Ferguson for the extra attacker. Bobby McMann stole a pass in the neutral zone, fed it ahead to Anthony Beauregard and he found an empty net to make it 4-2.Â
Wichita and Fort Wayne will play Game 5 on Monday night starting at 6:30 p.m. CST.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from June 12, 2021
- Rabbits Advance to Eastern Conference Finals - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Gennaro Paces Thunder Past Komets; Forces Game 5 on Monday - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel's Season Ends After 3-2 Loss to Swamp Rabbits - Indy Fuel
- Florida Wins Game 3 on Home Ice, Takes 2-1 Series Lead - South Carolina Stingrays
- Blades out Play Stingrays in Game 3 - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Looks to Extend Series Tonight in Fort Wayne - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - June 12 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits vs. Fuel, 7:05 PM Eastern Conference Semifinals - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Preview: Blades Look to Take Control of Series - Florida Everblades
- Preview: Game 3: Stingrays at Everblades, June 12 at 7 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Americans Sweep Utah with Double Overtime Win - Allen Americans
- 2020-21 Grizzlies Season Ends After 2 OT Loss - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.