Generals Take Down Biscuits, 14-8
MONTGOMERY, Ala. - The Biscuits (24-29) fell to the Jackson Generals (30-22), 14-8, on Country Music Night Thursday at Riverwalk Stadium. Montgomery had eight runs on 12 hits in an attempt to counter the Generals' offensive explosion.
Biscuits' starting pitcher Sam McWilliams (0-2) struggled in his first home start. The 22-year old surrendered a lead-off home run to Daniel Robertson to begin the barrage. Right fielder Josh Prince extended the advantage to 3-0 on a two-run double.
Although Montgomery answered with a manufactured run, scoring on a Nick Solak RBI-groundout, Jackson designated hitter David Sopilka countered with a two-out sacrifice fly in the second inning. Another run came across via a McWilliams' wild pitch in the third before Generals' infielder Jose Vinicio widened the gap to 6-1 on a sacrifice fly.
Following McWilliams' departure, Jackson continued to feast. The Generals plated four runs in the fifth - an inning in which Montgomery relievers walked four batters. Once Jackson reached double-figures, Jose Vinicio and Rudy Flores both hit two-run home runs, increasing the run total to 14.
Despite the deficit, Montgomery fought throughout. Dalton Kelly walked with the bases loaded in the third inning before Nick Solak produced an RBI-single the following frame.
RBI-singles from Ryan Boldt and Brett Sullivan moved the Biscuits within seven in the sixth. Furthermore, a productive RBI-groundout by Sullivan, complemented by an RBI-double from Kelly, moved the score to 14-7 in the seventh.
Montgomery's rally fell six runs short, however. Thomas Milone's second home run in two days was the only ninth-inning production for Brady Williams' bunch. Jackson's Bud Jeter retired Solak and Brandon Lowe with runners on first and second to end the game.
Montgomery will continue a five-game series against Jackson as the team transforms into the Greenbow Biscuits for Gump in the Gump featuring a jersey auction and MAX Fireworks on Friday at 6:35 p.m. The Biscuits will start Zach Lee (6-1), fresh off a spot start with Triple-A Durham, while Ryan Atkinson (2-4) is scheduled for the Generals.
The five-game homestand concludes on Saturday, June 2, on Flight Night, which includes a C-130 Figurine Giveaway presented by AUM and MAX Fireworks.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from May 31, 2018
- Generals Take Down Biscuits, 14-8 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Adams Shines in 3-0 Win - Birmingham Barons
- Behind Brown, Hager, Shuckers Down M-Braves on Thursday Night 9-1 - Mississippi Braves
- Pitchers Strikeout 26 in Barons Win - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Brown Delivers Career Night En Route to Shuckers Win - Biloxi Shuckers
- BayBears Drop Game One of Doubleheader, Game Two Rained Out - Mobile BayBears
- Smokies Win One Before Rain Arrives - Tennessee Smokies
- Wahoos, Shrimp Postponed in Jacksonville - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Rain Postpones Jumbo Shrimp and Blue Wahoos Thursday - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Birmingham Barons News WVTM to Air All-Star Game - Birmingham Barons
- Field Staff and Umpires Selected for 2018 All-Star Game - SL
- Jumbo Shrimp Select Umbel as Platform for Fan Engagement - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Biscuits Bite Back, Even Series with Generals - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Montgomery Biscuits Stories
- See Former Biscuits in the World Series Tomorrow Night at Riverwalk
- Watch Game 2 of the World Series Tonight at Riverwalk
- Thursday Happy Hour Continues this Week
- See You at Riverwalk this Week for Happy Hour, Tailgates, 5Ks, and More
- Beat the Heat, Hang out in the Club Car Bar